Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Day eighteen

Time for Adrienne's questions. For those of you unfamiliar with Adrienne, she's the one person who could rival me in rambling. Which is why I love her. Here are her questions and my answers. Be prepared, a couple of these are intense.

1. You have won a prize. The prize has two options, and you can choose either (but not both). The first option is a year in Europe with a monthly stipend of $2,000. The second option is ten minutes on the moon.Which option do you select and why?
Well the moon has no air. So even if assuming I get a spacesuit in this prize package, I'd rather enjoy a long vacation breathing earth's admittedly dirty air than breathing out of a canister for ten minutes on the moon.

2. Your best friend is taking a nap on the floor of your living room. Suddenly, you are faced with a bizarre existential problem: This friend is going to die unless you kick them (as hard as you can) in the rib cage. If you don’t kick them while they slumber, they will never wake up. However, you can never explain this to your friend; if you later inform them that you did this to save their life, they will also die from that. So you have to kick a sleeping friend in the ribs, and you can’t tell them why.Since you cannot tell your friend the truth, what excuse will you fabricate to explain this (seemingly inexplicable) attack?
Easy. Aliens were attacking his insides and I had to protect him. (Geez, Adrienne, you should come up with more thought provoking questions next time.)

3. What is the worst thing you have ever done to a person?
Something I don't talk about much is that I was a pretty big bully in grade school. And much of my meanness could be considered "worst" is most people's opinion. So I'll just name a few of the more painful things I did...
Kicked a friend firmly in the nuts, punched a boy as hard as I could in the gut, tripped a girl everyday for a week so she ended up with bloody knees, sent a kid to the hospital with a concussion, made someone eat a worm, threw many, many building blocks at many, many people, made fun of a kid for peeing with his pants down, hit a kid in the face with his own toy... Thankfully I grew up.

4. "They" say, and it makes sense, the average American will make one million dollars or more in their working lifetime. If you were given your one million dollars today, a lump sum, tax free, but would not continue to make money, how would you spend the money and plan for your future? Also, you got this money, but your family (parents, siblings, etc.) did not.
Maybe because I'm an economist by day (and a superhero by night), I thought this was an easy one. Much of what we spend our income on is interest and taxes. If we could make our big purchases (house, car, etc.) with cash, we would save a ton of money normally reserved for interest. And since taxes increase at a slightly slower rate than inflation, setting aside funds for a lifetime of property taxes in a simple savings would be more financially beneficial than yearly payment of those taxes. Systematic investment in bond type securities would provide income for a lifetime which could cover future finances. Add to that a business venture providing basic needs which will supplement the bond income.

As for the family issue, I would most certainly pay in full my parents house with the exception that they deed it to me. The interest savings would help them incredibly and I would recover my investment with the sale of the house upon their death.

5. Do I have to think of 7 questions?
Now here are some top form questions. Nicely done.

6. What is going to happen if I don't?
Bravo, Bravo. Another stellar performance in question asking. (BTW, if you didn't ask seven I'd give you a stern looking one eyebrow raise. That is, after I learn how to raise only one eyebrow at a time.)

7. Do you think it useful for the US to spend so much money on space 'stuff'?
Unless they could prove their work was beneficial to our future if the sun would explode, I'd have to say no. The military defense initiations in space I find necessary, but even those can't be aggreed upon by everybody.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home