Tuesday, April 27, 2010

How 'bout an old fashioned update post?!

1)So I went to see my Dad in the hospital a couple weekends back. It was maybe one of the saddest moments in my life. I had just seen my big strong Dad a few weeks before and now he was reduced to a tired old man in the same amount of time. He could barely stay awake to talk, he could barely eat, he could barely make a fist to hold anything. I stayed for a few hours but it was a rough visit. His usual habit of praying for me & Ell whenever we left his house was reversed when he asked me to pray for him. I thought it was fitting and was honored to do so, but when I tried I totally lost it. I couldn’t speak I was crying so hard. I was sad and scared and pissed all at the same time. I cried a good many more times on the long drive home from Columbus. He’s not better or even out of the hospital yet, but he’s able to have a conversation and do a few more things for himself. Keep him in your prayers, will you?

2)I have a disease. Degenerative Joint Disease. Fancy term for arthritis; for me it’s a viral arthritis. It snuck up on me two Sunday’s ago and at first I thought I had injured myself on a visit to Pittsburgh the Friday before. My ankles were swollen and painful but nothing else was wrong. By midweek that had changed. Everywhere I had a body joint: feet, ankles, knees, hips, elbows, wrists, hands… was sore to the point of out loud pain and by Saturday morning they were so stiff I could barely move at all. After she got home from her thirteen hour work shift (she’s such a trooper,) Ell took me to the emergency room where they confirmed a case of Viral Arthritis. It’s a strain that is an auto-immune issue and possibly only affects twenty and thirty year olds. Weird, right? Four hours later and a shot of steroids and they sent me home. It’s supposed to get better, but man this is some intense pain.

3)So you don’t think this whole thing will be about illnesses, here’s a happier story. My sister Ginny pulled off an awesome surprise birthday party for my friend, her husband, Mike. It was a blast. He turned the elusive 35 this year so she threw him a, “Mike for President” party since he is now eligible to be the USA’s big cheese. Have I ever told you how much I love surprises? Well, I do. L.O.V.E. them. (Even though I’ve never had one myself. Hint. Hint.) Ginny let me help her out with the preparations and it was so much fun to be a part of the event. Happy Birthday, Mike.

4)Guess what? We’re getting the internet back at our house this week. When we decided Ell was going to go to college, we cut every expense we could find so we could afford it. The internet was one of those cuts. Well she needs it for one of her final two classes so back it comes. It’s a might-bit pricier this time around too. Oh well, internet anytime I want it versus stealing it from faint coffee-shop signals. I guess that’s better. ;)

And there is my update. Peace.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kimmy said...

Thanks for the update!

Yay on the internet, very weird on the viral arthritis, I hope it's better soon! Cool on the party, I saw the pics on FB.

Still praying for your dad. I've been wondering how things were going there. I understand the sadness you are feeling all too well. Just know that you are loved & prayers are going up for you, your dad and your entire family.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Melissa Blair said...

Glad you made it back to the world of the BLOG. Hope everyone in your family gets to feeling better soon!

12:09 AM  
Blogger *Austin Mommy* said...

Wow, Sam. I haven't been doing much blog reading lately, and apparently I have missed a LOT! Cool about the party and the return of convenient internet - not so cool about your dad stuff (although your latest post is encouraging!) and your crazy joint insanity. So, what's the deal with that? Will it go away? Last forever? Are you scared? When the steroids have worn off do the symptoms come back?? Wow...again. Hang on there, Sam. Add me to your pray-er list.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers, Ang. Here's some answers to your questions...

1) I wish I knew what was up with that. I mean, really, really, wish I knew.
2) They say it should go away, but I'm having doubts.
3) Same answer as 2.
4) I'm really scared. I don't admit that emotion often, but there it is. I'm scared. I'm too young to be this sick.
5) They came right back when off the steroids. Adding to the scared.

Thanks again, Ang.

8:57 PM  
Blogger *Austin Mommy* said...

Sam, it's amazing of you to admit that you're scared...that's probably a decent part of the battle right there. And no one can blame you for being scared. Let's just pray that they truly do know more about this than any of us amateurs, and that it will go away. (BTW - sorry if Jon didn't ask you about how you were feeling when you talked. I just figured it out myself, and I don't think I remembered to mention it to him.) Please keep us posted - and keep admitting your fear...that's healthy!

10:20 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

I would never want to be the center of anyone's attention when it has to do with my health, so please know there's nothing to feel bad about Jon not asking. I rarely discuss anything bad going on with me health-wise (which can infuriate Laura) and is probably shrouded in the not admitting my fears often enough. Even posting about stuff here, beyond common cold stuff, is a stretch for me. I guess I'm worried it shows a weakness or something silly like that. Anyway, thank you for your thoughts. They've really carried me through these last couple days knowing someone specific is out there praying for me. Thanks, Ang.

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home