Friday, June 16, 2006

Happy Father's Day Dad!

I dedicate this post to my "Dear 'Ol Dad" on the eve of one of Hallmark's biggest days. I won't be buying my Dad a card this year. I won't be buying him a gift either. He deserves more than for me to put money into some retailer's pocket. The thing he deserves most is a visit from his only son. And the thing that makes me sad this Father's Day, is that I will not be able to give him that gift.

Those of you that know me know that I was probably born in the wrong era. The desires of my heart are of simple living and all that go with that. Not for the romance or the mystique, but for the act of surviving. I think life held more value and worth when people's occupations were providing for their families primal needs. The fruits of their labors were immediately seen in their homes and in their fields and on their tables. For most though, it also meant a permanent seperation from their families. Usually never to see them again while on this earth. And that too is something I would take as part of the package.

The reality is that I live in 2006, and that I am subject to the very things I detest about that fact. And even though I don't live in a time than limits my travel, those 2006 things I detest are why I can not see my Father this weekend. I am involved in too much stuff that I can't get away even for a day to go see my Dad. And yes, that makes me greatly pissed off! But I didn't intend this to be a rant on life, I wanted it to be a tribute to my Dad. Sorry..........

I want to echo Rob when I say that I hold my father up as my greatest hero. My Dad was born into humble beginnings, grew up in the same, and became an adult with no promise otherwise. But despite all of that, I have heard my Dad say on many occasions that he has no regrets. He has pursued and lived out every dream he ever had. My Dad chose to not let anything get in his way when it came to what he wanted. But he chose one other thing that defined him as a person; he chose to allow God access to his plans, and we will never know the number of people who's lives have been changed because of that decision. My Dad sits in a wheelchair now, but he is still one of the strongest men I know. My Dad can no longer climb a flight of stairs, but his prayers can still reach the heavens. My Dad can no longer carry a sound system or an instrument into a concert hall, but his music still touches millions. My Dad is the bravest man I have ever met. I can honestly say I have never met a person I have been more proud to have known than my father. And on this weekend when we honor our dad's, I hold up for you the man that I love more than any other man on this planet; my Dad.

Dwight Elliott Shirey
Here is a small list of things he has accomplished, mastered, and in some cases excelled as the best I have ever seen or heard..........

Piano, Trombone, Trumpet, Guitar, Voice, Recording, Conducter, Song Evangelist, Pastor, Business owner, Master Cabinetmaker, Master Carpenter, Father, Grandfather, Husband, and Friend.

I wish I could see you this weekend, no I wish I could see you right now. I love you Dad.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome post......it brought tears to my eyes.

Aloha,

Jeff

12:25 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Sam, that was moving! I am glad to know that you feel about him a lot like I feel about him. You are a great writer too, I'm impressed!! I love you!!

1:21 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

And who am I to say, but I will anyway. That was absolutely incredible.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home