Saturday, June 14, 2008

Randomness with Kevin's blessing

Sometimes my mind gets crazy with multiple thoughts; I'm talking hundreds upon hundreds. This has been one of those weeks. Usually I try to really attack a topic, but there has seemed to be too many things in the 'ol gray matter to be effective writing about any one of them. But Kevin did a random post, so I'm taking that as a clearing to throw some stuff out there.

==============================================
Ell called me uber-excited yesterday with the news that there was a, "Paid in full" letter in the mail with the title to my car enclosed within. That means we own it free and clear. So besides that good feeling, we also are out from under a $480 a month car payment. That's an even better feeling. If only I hadn't averaged 28,000 miles a year on it, I'd have a five year old car that was still in pretty good shape. It's still an awesome car with no problems, but a car with those kind of miles is bound to start showing it's wear. Oh well, now it's mine.

==============================================
I'm still pretty down about Kimmy's mom and death in general. Last night I heard that Tim Russert had died suddenly. It felt weird to be sad for a guy I'd never met, especially in the wake of what Kimmy must be going through, but I couldn't help it. He was one of the most amazing political interviewers of all time. For almost 4 months of Sunday mornings, I spent an hour with him as he interviewed all the presidential candidates from both parties. He was intensely in-your-face while always maintaining an insistent politeness. He was better prepared for his interviews than any other journalist I've ever seen, and I would marvel at the obscure and often too-revealing quotes he would find. He had a unique way of making politicians answer questions in very un-politician ways. I have mad respect for people who can talk politics without letting their personal beliefs and one-sided views block the chance to actually learn something new. I loved what he did and how he did it.

But more than all of that, it seemed like Tim Russert was an all around great guy. I turned on the TV this morning at 7am to check the weather and instead stumbled on a special two hour tribute from his co-workers, colleagues, politicians, opposing time slot anchors, bosses, subordinates, presidents past and present, family, and friends. I can't remember this much ado over any person in a long time. He was so genuine and real that it seemed like I knew him personally. And from what was said about him this morning, I wasn't the only one with those kind of emotions. Tim Russert, I'm going to miss you. You were a fine American.

==============================================
Job update: the job I'd interviewed twice for had been narrowed down to me and one other person... I didn't get it. From what the HR head said, the other person was internal and they needed the new position up and running quickly. I would have required some training and this person wouldn't being internal. Whether she was blowing smoke up my butt or not, it was kinda reassuring to have been one of the last two people being considered. And she said she'd consider me for anything in the future as well.

So back to looking. After I received that news, I called a lead a friend had given me and I should have an interview next week. And the thing I have to keep reminding myself, I still have a job. I know a lot of people who can't say that and are struggling with what that means in their life.

==============================================
My friends Andrew and Lyndsay are coming home next weekend from Minneapolis. And my friend Evan is coming home from Cuba around the same time. My friends Kyle and Josh and Megan are all home as well. I enjoy the fact that the age of my friends has such a wide range, but it sucks when the younger ones go away to school and careers. So the next couple weeks they'll all be home and I'll be happy. I can't wait.

==============================================
The winter garden is done and the spring one I kind of missed. (Thank goodness for the asparagus growing or there wouldn't have been anything out there at all.) So onto the summer one. And it's doing great. A rundown of what's planted right now...

yellow onions, red onions, peas, beans, sweet corn, sunflower mix, marigolds, pumpkins, zucchini, two kinds of cucumbers, three kinds of carrots, two varieties of tomatoes, four hot peppers, orange sweet peppers, garlic, yellow beets, spicy mesclun, chinese cabbage, three kinds of basil, and some other things I know I'm missing. Of those, at least half are sustainable seeds I've saved and will never have to buy again. That's where the magic is, folks. It brings a smile to my face even now.

==============================================
This got kinda long, so I'll end it. Oh, check out my sister Kristen's blog. (Click on Kristen in my roll.) There's an absolutely awesome picture of my niece, Aurora. She's heading to vacation and she's so adorable.

Alright, enough for now.
Peace.

3 Comments:

Blogger 3rd string's finest said...

Great post, Sam. your garden is ever inspiring. I await eagerly the day when I can grow a garden. Can't wait to see you, friend. Much to talk about, as always.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I too thought this was a great post. Congrats on owning your car - that is a great feeling.

Sorry about the job - looking forward to the good news on the next interview!

Maybe when I start sleeping, and get fired from job for not performing to par, I'll plant a garden - the idea, and the great outdoors in general, have been growing on me.

Looking forward to the next round of thoughts.

3:16 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Good thoughts! I'm so glad that the stinkin car is paid off! It brings a smile to my face too. The garden is, as always, amazing too. I want to sleep in it because its so amazing! Right next to the sweet corn that we haven't grown for years. I can't wait to have me some of that.

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home