Sunday, November 30, 2008

Day thirty

I know I just posted about the miracle, but I have access to a 'puter so I might as well use it. (That's what she said. hee-hee) I've been meaning to tell everyone I met my twin. Seriously. Here's the story.

Because of my commute I frequent the gas station by my house two to four times a week. In doing so I have become one of the "regulars" which means the two, overly excited, very annoying, sisters that work there feel the need to chat me up. One day I stopped in after work and was confronted by the younger of the sisters. She unprofessionally yelled across the store as I walked in and informed me my brother had just left. (In no way do these girls know anything about me including my name, let alone my family structure.) When I told her I didn't have a brother she audibly squealed.

She then explained in great detail that a customer had just been in that looked exactly like me. I nodded trying to convince her I cared about her story. I didn't hide it well and she called me out. "Well, if you don't believe me I'll prove it." Uncertain exactly what that meant, I paid for my gas and left.

The next week I repeated my trip into the store and both sisters were working. The older one grabbed my hand as I tried to hand her my cash, and called for her sister. She younger pain-in-the-butt bound around the corner with a piece of paper in her hand. She shoved it into my face and hollered, "Look at this." Turns out this guy had stopped back and the girls somehow talked him into letting them copy his driver's license. As I looked at the picture, I did a double take. Sure enough, this was a guy who could have very easily been birthed from my parents.

Besides random comments from the sisters, I quickly forgot about this stranger. Four or five months passed until the beginning of November when I walked into the store to pay for a tank of gas, and the younger sister informed me my twin had just been hired at the gas station. It now seemed certain I would come face to face with this guy.

The next week I walked across the parking lot and saw a distinctive fat roll across the back of a cashier's head I somehow recognized. As I felt the bump on the back of my own head I knew I was about to have a life changing moment. I pushed open the door and came face to face with myself. Both of us kind of froze for a full five seconds which seemed like an eternity. I stuck out my hand and announced, "I guess you and I are supposed to meet. My name is Sam." The guy extended his hand and introduced himself as John.

I won't lie and say he looked exactly like me. He was a good four inches shorter than me, his hair was a little redder and longer, his glasses were a different shape, and his voice was not as deep. But friends, beyond that, this guy was me. To almost every detail. His cheeks, the setting of his eyes, his lack of defined chin, the small ears, the pronounced red goatee; it was literally like a mirror had been placed in front of my face. This guy and I could have traded ID's and no one would have ever been the wiser.

I pulled into my driveway a few minutes later and told my wife I had met my twin. Our friends Brad and Megan were there and between them and Ell they talked me into going to the gas station to see this so-called twin. I stayed in the car while they each went in to buy a candy bar or drink or whatever their cover story was. One by one they came out with their hands clamped over their mouths and their eyes wide open as if they'd seen a ghost. It was so funny.

So I guess it's true what "they" say... everyone does have a twin. I just didn't expect to meet mine a quarter mile from my house.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow.. no.. this gets a double wow. the first wow is for the miracle of the food. That gave me goose bumps. I do believe in modern day miracles because I have seen seen them.. but rarely. This is truly amazing and unless someone sneaked food in that you didn't know about.. it is truly a miracle.

The twin is amazing too. I've had people tell me someone looked like me, but when I've seen them, I didn't see the resemblence. Its amazing that even you thought he looked like a twin. Maybe an unknown relative?

3:50 AM  
Blogger Sweet Peripety said...

a double! cool! :)

thank you Sam, for you honest and sweet and endearing words about Will David. You made me smile. And between no sleep and being tied down to a chair, LOL, that really goes a long way!

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read about it some days ago in another blog and the main things that you mention here are very similar

1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home