Saturday, November 02, 2013

A crazy night - Day One

I failed NaBloPoMo on day one, but hopefully the fact that after I woke up at 5:30 in the morning and left for work, the only time I was home the rest of the day was long enough to change out of my suit and into jeans and a tee shirt, will justify my lateness. There has to be a story there, right? Oh, there's a story.....

After a super long day at work, filled with more problems and screwed up schedules than anyone deserves, I got a phone call on my way home that our Black Mountain friends wanted to go out to dinner. That was followed by another phone call that Alli had just had an even more horrible day and wanted to do something. A wardrobe change and a few minutes later, we were on our way to dinner with our friends.

We enjoyed an awesome meal, quite a few drinks, and great fellowship with dear friends over the next couple hours. As the hour turned eleven o'clock, we ordered another round of drinks, and then decided to go visit a supposedly haunted old dormitory. We drove back to Black Mountain, and under the darkness of night --the ladies more than tipsy-- we snuck into the four story, hundred plus year old building.

This creepy building was still used on the lower floors for random events throughout the year, and was on a campus filled with twenty or so other buildings. An event was happening in other buildings, so the campus was filled with cars and random people walking the grounds, which enforced the need to be quiet and use no lights. After getting in, we explored the huge building, going up and down the floors and in and out of the hundreds of rooms on each floor, taking turns jumping out of dark rooms and scaring the pee out of each other.

We couldn't find a way into the creepiest, most abandoned part of the building, the attic, so we eventually found our way to the dark basement for more scaring and drunken-hushed laughter. (Other stuff happened while we were in the building, but I shall remain silent on those facts to protect the reputation of those involved.)

After an hour or so, we snuck out of the old building and made our way towards the car. As we walked through the parking lot, the ladies still tipsy-weaving-and-laughing, someone noticed a school bus painted white, very akin to the old church busses we all grew up with. One of the ladies declared they wanted to go into the bus, so I pulled the creaky doors open and walked up the steps. As soon as I got inside, I noticed it wasn't a church bus but rather, had been converted to an RV of sorts. A few more steps and I saw a mini-fridge on the left, a few more steps revealed a couch, and then a few more steps showed a bed built across the back of the bus. And then I saw it, as I stood two or three feet from the bed, three people asleep on said bed. My heart leaped in my chest and I bolted out of the bus, slamming the door behind me, whisper-screaming there were people in there. We all took off running and yelling and laughing.

Before going home, the four of us visited other places around the campus, including a ropes course in the tree tops and laying beside a beautiful pond lit only by the immense amount of stars overhead. By the time our friends dropped us off and we lay down in bed, it was almost three in the morning. Unfortunately I had to get back up at 5:30 to go to work again today, so let's just say I'm more than worn out. But our adventure last night makes up for it.

And that's why I was late. :) 


Blogger Kimmy said...

You are so good at having fun. I love it!

11:18 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Well, if there was ever a legit I'm not sure if I think this sounds fun or terrifying! I'll remember to lock my bus if I'm ever in your area! ;)

1:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home