Wednesday, July 05, 2006

this may help someone

I had a great long weekend. Ell and I took the drive to Central Ohio to surprise my folks Saturday night. I love doing that kind of stuff! The shocked look on my Mom's face when she opens the door is always priceless. So much fun!!! A little background may be in order so you understand why she is so shocked. I am the oldest of three kids (four if you count the girl next door who was at our house as much as she was at her own.) All girls. My first sister went to school at Ohio State University where she met her husband. Both of my other sister's also went to school in the Columbus area. My little sister went to work close to my first sister and met her husband on lunch break one day. Shortly thereafter the first grandkid popped out. The year after that, the first sister adopted two boys. Well, the fact that my parents were now Grandparents (and due to my Dad's health,) they sold my boyhood home in NorthEast Ohio and bought a house in Columbus. Grandkids are a huge magnet for attention. Anyway, about 6 months ago, their decision to move paid off again when all three of my sisters had a baby girl within one month. Needless to say, my parents are in heaven.

But their gain was, and is, my loss. My entire family now lives 3 hours away. It tore me up pretty bad when they left. I didn't let it show, but I was devastated. The hardest part was the loss of my Dad. I had always had a very good relationship with him, and it had only gotten stronger as I matured. So when he left, I was mad and hurt. I've since talked to him about it, but it was really hard for me to deal with for a while. I still get sad at times knowing they are just far enough away that I can't see them very often. But that distance comes at an advantage when I want to surprise them. They know it's a long trip for two really busy people, so they never expect it. It's great! So anyway, we got to visit with them for a few days over the weekend. If you check out my sister's blog (Kristen on my links) you can see some pictures. I'm sure my other sister will put some pictures up soon as well, and I'll add a link when she does. They all have such cute kids. (I may be a little biased!)

As I said a few weeks ago, my Dad also started a blog. He has taken a different route than most and has been using his site as an outreach of sorts. Due to the hand life has dealt him, he has been using his experiences as a resource to help others in his same situation. He just finished a series of posts on Friendship. I would never ask anyone to waste their valuable time on stupid stuff, and I don't want to start now. My dad writes and speaks better than I could ever hope to, and what he says is usually very good. This is no exception. He has helped many people over the course of his life, and with this new avenue, he may be able to help you or someone you know. Give him a try, if it's not your cup of tea don't come back. I won't be offended either way. A quick warning, he writes as wordy as he speaks. It's all good, so it's worth your time if you need to hear what he has to say. His blog is on my links under Dwight. Hope this helps you if you need it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

I must agree Sam, that you have some fine looking nieces and nephews!!
And as a side note, I honestly look forward to reading your dad's blog EVERY day (thanks to Kristen's blog). I have been wanting to post a comment, but have been waiting for the right time. I am sure I will do so soon. I have have gained so much just from the few that I have read so far. The Friendship Series was amazing! I encourage everyone who feels led to read, you will be left with wonderful things to think about.

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, I'm there with Beth. Your dad is awesome! Really well-spoken, too. Thanks for having a cool dad. You should totally get blog points for that.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home