Monday, April 02, 2007

April Fools

There are many days I greatly enjoy each year: my Birthday, Ell's Birthday, St. Patrick's Day, the 4th of July, Mother's Day, the first day of Summer, and the most recent one........ April Fools Day. When we were kids, April 1st meant jokes about our zippers being down and our shoes being untied. As we got older, we learned to use real life things like our cars and jobs and family to trick unsuspecting people. All in good fun, and all hilarious. It's nice to have a day set aside for laughter and smiles.

Yesterday was no different. I decided when I woke up to use my blog to do something funny. I didn't have a plan, I figured it would come to me as I sat in front of the keys. So when I sat down, a great story just flowed out. (If you haven't read it, it's the post before this one.) Anyway, it got a lot of people excited. Was the story a bit too real? Well of course. That's what made it so believable. And those that were tricked were a bit red faced that they fell for it. Well, most people.

My sister and Dad took it way too serious, and to be honest that kind of disturbs me a bit. I'm not writing this to degrade them in any way b/c the emotion I'm feeling is sadness. I have a great family who I thought knew me rather well. But they took the joke serious and didn't even see the irony that having me in their family made the whole story a farce. From the very first paragraph I made the story questionable. But they thought took it seriously and are pretty pissed at me. And they have other people (who are afraid to reveal their identity) mad too. All of them demanding an apology. While I'm sorry that my story scared people so deeply, I'm not sorry at all I did it. It was meant to raise blood pressure and it was meant to make people laugh. Verdict: accomplished.

This is my blog. I'll do whatever the heck I want with it. I'll write whatever I want to write, and respond however I want to respond. I am respecting my family by deleting their comments and not having people they never met laugh at them. It's unfortunate they can't see this for what it was intended and give me the same respect. But to be honest, I have to wonder if they have some underlying issues they are dealing with that caused them to get so emotionally charged. But I guess they've made their decisions so I can't say anything else.

Hey everyone, it was a joke. Laugh at your embarassment and move on!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well written. You have nothing left to apologize for. Thank you for respecting your family and apologizing for their "raised blood pressure" and thank you for standing up for yourself and not apologizing for the joke.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Please don't delete me. I'm not asking you to apologize, I just wanted you to know how I felt. I still think it was a dumb joke, and I don't think that you deleting our comments was out of respect for us. I wouldn't have written what I did if I was afraid of being embarassed. I don't care who laughs at me. I wish you cared enough about people to be mature and honest. You were embarassed, not us, and I don't care either. You say what you want, and anytime anyone disagrees with you, you are rude and disrespectful and don't care what other's opinions are. You make people believe that you are so nice? Put our comments back on, let other people understand where we may be coming from. We only hear from you if we read your blog, sorry 'bout your immaturity, but don't you apologize about my sensitivity. Forgive me for caring about you and having you as a brother. I understand the joke, and knowing how immature you are, I know why you deleted my comments, but don't lie and say it was because you respect us, if you respected us you would still treat us like family and not some distant aquaintences. I'm sorry Sam, but you were embarassed, not me, and I stand by what I said. Don't put down my sensitivity because of your lack of it. And don't apologize, I don't want that, I just want you to grow up!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

If you think I erased anything out of embarassment of myself then you aren't listening to me. Both of your comments, and the one I'm responding to, are bringing up some deep emotional issues I seem to be unaware of. I erased my own too, did you see that? I don't want whatever you're going through to be publicly broadcast to strangers. You seem to have some pretty major problems with me that you have never once said anything about?

Quote, "...you barely talk to anyone in our family anymore..." and, "...you disregard us as your family..." These things you wrote have nothing to do with my story. Which is why I suggested that we should talk about them somewhere else. But you chose to ignore me and continue with whatever you are dealing with.

The worst part about this is that you aren't making any sense. I don't talk to anyone? I call Dad and Mom once or twice a week. I return almost everyone one of your phone messages and comment on almost every one of your blog entries. We visit Columbus which is 3 hours away more times in one year than we do her mom who lives 15 minutes away. I'm not trying to pat myseff on the back, only responding to your insanity. Life is busy when you become an adult. Am I supposed to apologize for being a professional? Or having a life? Or am I supposed to apologize b/c those things are done without your involvement? Need I remind you that all of you moved away from home, not me.

I try as hard as I can. I'm not really sure what else you want. If money was no object and time was no factor I'd be with my family every day. The fact that you doubt that makes me sadder than anything.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

I'm glad you can leave "banker" by profession up on your bio block. And I'm glad you don't have to sell your house. And I'm glad your wife isn't crying herself to sleep. And I'm glad i don't have to visit you at the Elkton prison (which is what was the most doubtful thing about your sad saga. You had me going - I almost called you - but since the day you posted your B***S*** story was April 1st I thought I'd wait a day and see if your blog site got quite. I did get up and look on line and when I saw others were feeling sorry for you I started to wonder if I should too.

8:53 PM  
Blogger 3rd string's finest said...

Sammy, may I call you that? (wink, wink, hint, hint). MAN, (wink, wink, hint, hint)that was a good prank. I admit you got me good. It didn't help that I was so groggy from sleep deprivation and my calender was still on february. If all that came out of it was that I got to talk to you for a few seconds and gave my best friends something to laugh about than I am glad I reacted that way. You are one of the kindest people I know, and I appreciate your sense of humor. Later, Bro!

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home