Monday, September 17, 2007

Follow-ups, part 1

I'm in the mood to update a few things I've talked about before. I'll try to write a few times this week so be sure to check back often.

For those of you who don't read comments, at least one of the persons responsible for the flamingo prank has revealed himself. Still no explanation as to the reasoning behind the backward-ness of it, but no more mystery as to the origins. Maybe one day he'll reveal a masterful hoax that goes way over our heads and we'll wonder why we never got the joke. Or maybe not.

Zooooma just commented on some cool graveyards he remembered visiting, and it reminded me of one in Twinsburg, Ohio. Twinsburg is a city of 20,000 and it's impressive city graveyard stretches for almost 3/4 of a mile. But the original graveyard, which dates back to the early 1800's, is hidden behind some trees and wedged between 2 very industrialized sections of town and the highway. It covers not quite an acre and is so hard to see that I worked across the street from it for a year and a half before I ever found it. The twin brothers who founded the town are buried there. They died within a few hours of each other and, as was common back then, are buried in the same grave. All of the early settlers of Twinsburg are buried in this graveyard.

One tombstone in that graveyard always haunted me and I tried to visit it every time I went there. Inscribed on it were the names of four children and their mother. (Yes, another common grave.) None of the children were over ten years old. The last recorded dates were the mother and her second child. It seems all of them had died from some sort of disease of the time like Black or Yellow Fever. What a sad time that family must have gone through. I always wondered how that sort of thing would affect people today. I actually think we would be worse off than they were. They accepted diseases and other hardships of life and moved on. They didn't have the luxury of getting a welfare or disability check to take care of them. They had to move on or they wouldn't survive. I'm starting to climb up on a soapbox, so I'll stop. Just another example of the fact that God may have dumped me off in the wrong century.

Check back tomorrow for another follow-up.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sweet Peripety said...

Yes, I agree..It's amazing what our society does to us. It's so convuluted, IMO.

Anyways, my dad went to a reinactment for the Civil War at Antietam (okay, I probably butchered that spelling), and we were talking about the same thing.

Honestly, both my dad and I wanted to live in a previous century. Most things I dream or think or watch have to do with the 1800s anyways. LOL!

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home