Thursday, October 18, 2007

Taking it to the next level

This whole canal thing has really got me excited. As such, I'm going one step further than the wet adventure the other day took me. To be honest, I was a little disappointed about Sunday's trip. Disappointed for one, because the pictures didn't turn out as good as I thought they would; and two, because I never actually explored the underwater dam structure. (I'd never take back the fun time I had with Ell and Brad, I'm more talking about the canal ruins thing.) So I 'm going back. But this time I'm going prepared.

First problem: good pictures. I was using Kodak 800 speed film on Sunday. That's a really good film, and is probably the only reason the pictures came out at all because it wasn't the best lighting conditions. I'll be taking the same on my next trip, but I'm also upping the equipment a little. Brad has (what seems to be --- in my limited experience) an almost-professional digital camera. So we're taking that as insurance of good photos.

Second problem: lighting and angle. Sunday I was forced to take pics from the two banks of the river. The ideal spot would have been hovering above the site and looking down. Well, I just let my helicopter license expire, so we need another option. Answer? A ladder. My plan is to set up a step ladder in the river itself and take pictures from above. I have an old step ladder my Dad used to call "The Widow-Maker" that should work just fine.

Hopefully we haven't lost the perfect conditions we had on Sunday. The still water, the low level, the sun just right, the dirts and rocks uncovered from the wood. They're calling for thunderstorms for the next five days, but I'm not daunted. (Those weather people are quacks anyway.)

I can't help thinking this is a gift. I mean finding the remains and all. I've done a ton of research about these things, including finding pictures taken over fifty years ago showing the canal system in much better shape than it is now. But in all that research, there hasn't been one mention of the dams themselves. How they were made, the materials used, how long they lasted, etc. So I've been given that rare opportunity to document something that possibly no one has ever seen before. I have to go. Crazy or not. I have to do this. I promise I'll keep you updated with pics, etc. I'm so excited.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, i've heard that a lot of the the lock areas on Beaver creek are haunted, and that it's nearly impossible to get to good pictures there because of it. So, it might not matter what cameras you take, unless the ghosts can't mess with digital--don't know if i've ever heard anyone discussing that or not. Should be an interesting experiment.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Good point Rob. You know my fascination and pursuit of ghost stories and the ghosts that cause them, so that would be an added benefit if there were other forces at work. And by the way, many ghost-chasers have detailed issues with their digital equipment. Something about the energy. Not sure how much of that I believe, but that's what they say.

Funny you brought ghosts up though... the guy I found online that has done some of the most expansive research on the Sandy & Beaver canal system, repeatedly makes comments to the stupidity of the ghost stories of Beaver Creek. He finds them silly.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home