Friday, July 18, 2008

Where's Sam's office now?

Yesterday I realized I haven't been very diligent in updating all of you on my job situation.

For those of you good at math, you know that my 90-day probation leading to termination ended June 30th. The week before, I was in an unrelated meeting and my boss mentioned he was extending my probation and then promptly moved on. No more conversation, no questions allowed. This type of management is his M.O., so while frustrating, I wasn't surprised as his abruptness. I knew a separate meeting would happen in a few days; and it did.

In that next meeting, he explained to me he was very pleased with my adjustment into the new branch. He said the staff really like me and it was obvious I'd earned their trust in a short amount of time. He also said my sales record spoke for itself and I'd made the branch a lot of money despite a shaky economy. BUT... (You knew it was coming right?) ... He went on to say there were a couple areas I needed to work on and that was why he was extending it.

To say I was pissed would be an understatement. You see, those 90 days of probation were a significant step in terminating me without having to worry about negative legal recourse. But in those 90 days, a full time and a part time person had quit. So on top of my normal overloaded schedule, I had taken on a large share of their missing productivity and workload. That left management cornered with a hard decision: a) continue on their previous course to eliminate my salary by letting me go which would in turn slice their own productive throats, or b) keep me to fill in the blanks despite their otherwise, set-in-stone plans.

They decided the branch couldn't afford to function without me, so I wasn't let go. But since they still wanted my salary out of their cost center, they extended the probation. This left the door open to cut me in another 90 days if they'd filled the vacant positions I'd been covering. Corporate bastards.

I decided right there to not be bent over any longer. For some reason (professionalism is all I can assume) I'd remained calm in every previous conversation. I'd taken the high ground and told them I disagreed with their assessment but I would try to be the manager they needed to be. This time, I'd had enough. I leaned across my boss' desk and told him exactly how I felt. I told him that if he really thought I was doing a great job, he would have released the probation and not extended it. I told him I was tired of being the branch's punching bag. I told him that I knew my salary was the only thing they couldn't live with and that everything else about me was top- of-the-tier performance. I told him his "areas of improvement" were a joke and I challenged him to find anything about me I wasn't doing top notch. And I told him I didn't want to be a warm body if their plans were to fire me no matter how well I performed.

Proud of me, huh? I wasn't sure what had come over me, but I needed them to know I knew the farce they were pulling and I needed them to know it pissed me off. My boss just sat back in his chair and said nothing for about a minute. Finally he said, "Well, we're extending the probation. Despite your production numbers, your salary has always been an issue in this district. I can't lie and say it would be a real problem if what you earned was made public. All I can say is that if we're paying you more than anyone else we want more work out of you than others. You've proven you can do that, but your cost is still a big bite to chew. Sorry." And he walked out.

I'm fighting a losing battle; I know that. But praise God, I still have a job. There are so many other people out there that just get laid off or fired, and that's it. God's given me some extra time to get things in gear, and complaining and anger aside, I'm thankful for that. I still get down sometimes wondering if I really am a bad employee as they keep saying, but I know otherwise. Their stories never match up, and I can't change the salary I was given when I started, so I just keep on keeping on.

As for the future, I didn't get the job that I'd made the final cut for. (They chose the internal candidate.) I was granted a couple interviews with other companies that just didn't fit. And I have a couple really good leads developing right now. So the future has potential. My prayer is that I can walk out of here on my own terms. That would be ideal.

Thanks for listening to me ramble.

9 Comments:

Blogger HennHouse said...

My days have passed, my plans are shattered, and so are the desires of my heart. These men turn night into day; in the face of darkness they say, 'Light is near.' -Job 17:11-12

Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. -Proverbs 16:3

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11

11:41 AM  
Blogger kimw said...

Way to go, Sam! I'll keep praying for that perfect job for you. I, too, hope you can go on your own terms.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Birdie said...

Sam, I AM very proud of you. To remain true to yourself and yet remain calm when all you want to do is kick someone is really hard. You are authentic and genuine and I think that is what's going to speak to these people's hearts someday. It may be after you've found another job, but hold your head up, speak the truth in love (oy!) and stay honest. God will bless you! I am praying for you!It's hardest to shine His light when things are so dark, and yet it's in darkness that the light shines brightest. You go!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Dave and Betsy's Blog said...

Thanks for rambling.
You're the man.
I'll be praying for you.
-Dave

4:12 PM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

You are my hero, Sam! Way to stand up for yourself. Good for you!

I'm praying you find an awesome job and can leave on your own terms.

Keep us posted!

4:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sam that took a tremendous amount of courage to call the bank out. I'm so sorry that this stress is happening in your life. There's not much more to say than the situation sucks. I think your discernment over how far to push with out simply walking out is spot on. My prayer and encouragement to you is "trust". Trust that God is sovereign, Trust that providence is powerful, trust that this will lead you to maturity (James 1), Trust that this will become a great story of God's love you can tell to all who will listen. Take heart my friend this season will pass and he who called you will provide.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

I'm still praying for ya

6:37 PM  
Blogger Chel said...

Hey Sam,

I commend your bravery. I know EXACTLY how you feel. I feel a bit more guarded about sharing all the feelings I have about my current job situation. I do however, feel in one way as you do, blessed to have a job in this economy, as challenging as this particular one is.
Chel

8:58 AM  
Blogger Dave and Betsy's Blog said...

Holy Schneikies...you said all of that!?!?! I'm proud of you - that must have been so hard to do and felt so good!

Betsy

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home