Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Almost done

I realized the other day that I've neglected to share any updates on my book. Well... I finished writing it in September. Two weeks later I was referred to an editor by a CPS friend (his wife) and sent my completed story out to California. Since this is my first book, and I don't exactly have the funds for a full-blown edit right now, this lady is giving me a general overview rather than a full edit. In other words, she's going to tell me her opinion about content, flow, and story line. Then I can take her suggestions and possibly attempt some revisions.

For those of you that have followed Elizabeth's journey through editing and revising, know this isn't a simple task. Since I don't yet have huge aspirations for this thing, I think I'm just going to do some general revisions and then get it into print. I started by ignoring the book for a couple months. I knew I couldn't have an objective mind so soon after finishing it as the story was so heavily imprinted on my brain. So I put it down and didn't look at for a full two and a half months. Over the weekend I picked it back up and have spent a couple hours since reading through it fixing silly grammatical errors and sentence structure. I'd like to have the whole thing gone over within the next week.

After that I will be happy with it as a first manuscript. Then I will be getting it into print; at least two copies. One copy will be for me and the other I'll be giving to the person the book is named after. By then I should have my edit back and I can start calling in favors (that don't exist) to get it into the hands of a publisher or two or ten and try to get it analyzed. After that, who knows.

So there it is. My first book is almost done. I'm pretty excited.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Exciting buddy congratulation.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

When do we get to read it?

9:16 PM  
Blogger Melissa Blair said...

I have a few friends that do editing. One of them used to do editing for science text books (boring!!).

10:06 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

I Want To Read It!!!!!!

12:58 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

I'm about halfway through the "fixin'" and then I'll be getting it pressed. Since so may people want to read it, I guess I'll get three copies. One for the namesake, one for me, and one to loan to friends. I'm hoping to be done soon so I can get the pressings. I think it'll be so cool to have my own book in actual book form. It's pretty exciting. I'll let ya'll know when it's ready.

5:29 PM  
Blogger HennHouse said...

If you self-publish at blurb.com, your friends and admirers could BUY IT NOW and we won't have to wait for the one copy you are sending around...

And I think they are running deals right now for the holidays...

6:22 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Good idea Karin! Sam, Do That!! I don't want to wait either!!!!!

12:53 PM  
Blogger Dave and Betsy's Blog said...

Congrats Sam!!! That's awesome! What is the title? I'm curious! :)

Bets

3:50 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

The problem using an online service or making it immediately available to everyone, is that it's not a final work. I haven't even got feedback from my editor yet. I simply want to get a First Edition into print so I have it for myself and the book's namesake. If it actually gets picked up by a publisher, then the revision process gets into full swing and only when that is done will the book be available for reading as well as for sale. It's a good idea, but I'd rather not have a subpar offering read by the world when they can instead wait a while and read the finished process. But I'm humbled by all the interest. Thank you.

Bets, I can't reveal the title just yet. Soon, though. So how's France?

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home