Monday, June 25, 2012

Bookmarks part two

I've been asked by a few people outside the loop of my inner-circle to define the Bookmarks I talked about a couple months ago. While I said I wasn't going to make ELEVEN a personal diary, after reading Andrew's comments on the Blogging post, I felt answering those requests would actually be interesting to some readers. So here goes...
  • March 24th - As Alli and our dearest friends Mike & Ginny sat in the rental car outside, I walked through the Log House that had been my home for thirteen and a half years. The tears fell freely as I ran my hands across the handhewn logs and recalled years and years of memories from the house that had become as much me as any other place I'd ever lived. Life was moving on for me, but leaving that house is still emotional to this day.
  • March 26th through April 6th - The Appalachian Trail. More stuff in those couple weeks than I could ever write enough about. A broken bone in my foot took me off the Trail and while there was/is so much more wrapped up in those few days than just that, that one simple thing opened up the world to everything else that would happen in the days to come.
  • May 8th - My Dad died and went to Heaven to be with his Lord, leaving a whole in me that's hard to explain and still hurts.
  • May 26th - On my parents' 40th Wedding Anniversary, not because of that or even on purpose, I asked Alli to be my wife. Asking her to be my wife was one of the most beautiful moments in the history of love. I have found the woman that completes me.
  • June 1st - With all of my worldly possesions packed up, my VW and I made the drive (along with Alli in her car and my friend Grant in a pickup truck) to my new home in Black Mountain, North Carolina. And then on Monday I started my new bank job.
What a crazy couple months, with each one of those events enough in itself to shape a life forever. I've heard it said so many times: "Crazy what a broken foot does to a life." I have to agree.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kimmy said...

I think I'm going to cry. So happy for you and Alli. Congratulations, my friend.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I'm so glad for an update!!

I was surprised to find you had moved to NC in the last post...

and possibly shocked to hear of the engagement!

The hole and the pain won't soon go away...but the journey of experiencing grief will become a permanent part of your being. What you make of that is what ultimately matters.

Prayers, Congrats, and many years of peace, joy, and happiness!!

And, uh, the proposal story? :-)

1:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Sam and Alli :) jen

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Cyn!! said...

oxoxox COngratulations Sam and Ali!!! Sooooo happy for you both!!!

10:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh man Sam that's a ton.. I almost fell out of my chair when you said you moved to black mountain NC. I was there just last week! Congrats on your wedding. Very exciting stuff. Blessings!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Sweet Peripety said...

Your post shows how life keeps moving, God keeps blessing, and people keep trucking along. Thank you for your update....and big, huge, excited congratulations on your engagement. And moving! I'm glad I can come here and see how you're doing. Please know I think of you and pray often.

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home