Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I did it!

The weather has been pretty amazing here in NE Ohio for the last few days. Day temps in the 70's, night temps in the upper 40's. No need for a fire, no need for a jacket, no need to stay inside b/c the air is too cold outside to function. It's been awesome.

I pulled in the driveway last night and Ell was outside working on the yard. She's on spring break this week so she's actually been able to breath and relax. She had cleaned out her small herb bed as well as picked up most of the downfall branches from the winter. I quickly changed out of my shirt and tie and went outside to help her. After we filled our kindling bin to almost a third of what we'll need for next winter, we headed to the garden. I dug up the leftover leeks while Ell pulled the kale. And that's when it hit me.

For years now I've had a dream of having a 12 month garden. In other words, having something growing in the garden all twelve months of the year. For people in warmer climates that may not seem like a big deal, but for 99.9% of people who live in this part of the country it's unheard of. Most people start their gardens in May or June, cultivate and weed for a couple months, and harvest through September. Then the garden just sits till the next year. But after years of study and conversations with my dear friend and co-op partner, I've come to the realization that with careful planning and some care we could have fresh vegetables year round. And as I worked in the garden yesterday, I realized I did it. Not to the measure I dream of, but I've had at least one kind of vegetable growing in my garden since October of 2005. What a great feeling! It made my day.

5 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

Are there vegetables that can freeze? Or are you able to plant them deep them enough they can still grow?

Would you like a greenhouse?

11:57 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

First and second question: no and yes for both. There are a lot of vegetables that actually grow and taste better when they've have a hard frost or freeze hit them. Kale, Brussel Sprouts, Leeks, Mustard greens, Peas, some Beans, some Onions. They can't handle a sustained freeze and would die if exposed for too long. But a hard frost, a freeze, or even those repeated over and over they can handle.

Things like Garlic, carrots, some cabbages, and even some peas, can handle a sustained freeze. One thing you can do for both varieties is use a cold frame. It's basically a bottomless wooden box with windows on the top. It sits on the ground and you grow veggies right in the ground. The sides prevent wind damage and the top allows sun to help them grow.

Last question: I would love to have a greenhouse! A thousand times yes. Are you offering?

12:42 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

There are some pretty great looking greenhouse at the tomato/flower place going towards Alamosa. I'll try to steal you one. They're really huge though. I might have to ship it in multiple sections.

Adam's uncle built a greenhouse one time. I don't really know how much time and money they take though.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Less time than you think and more money. We looked into buying one a few years back and the prices start around $1000 for a base model that's built well.

Which is why I'll be anticipating the start of your multiple shipments!!!!!!!!

2:16 PM  
Blogger 3rd string's finest said...

Hey, Sam! I am going to tell you something that might surprise you....I am a closet gardner. yep, thats right. I love every aspect of a garden and could write a huge post( I think will actually ) on the subject. I just don't think I am ready, I use that term loosely, for a commitment like that. Greenhouses are great! I, like you, worked in them for a while. Anyways, I still have to comment your other post so I better save some "ramblin" for that one. Later.

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home