Tuesday, March 06, 2007

A much needed escape

Last Thursday Ell and I headed to Hocking Hills State Park in southern Ohio. We stayed until Sunday, but as usual, wished we could have stayed forever. Ell had just finished working two weeks of filling in for other people, which involved 1 am shift starts and 6 day weeks. All while still going to school full time and taking care of me. She wrote a little about it on her blog, but she's way too modest to tell it all. I don't know how she does everything she does and still functions like a normal person. She truly is an amazing women. Anyway, she needed this trip really bad. And we had a great time like we always do.

When we'd been dating about four months, Ell and I went with her Mom and kid brother to Hocking Hills. We fell in love with it and it's a trip we've been taking every year since. The Hocking Hills region is an awesome place filled with massive waterfalls, gorges, caves, hiking trails, the only old-growth forests in Ohio, and so much more. There's really no way to describe it in words, so if you want to see some pictures, go to hockinghills.com or hockinghillspark.com to see what I'm talking about.

Ever since that first year, we've wanted to introduce as many people as we could to the area. So we started taking new people every year. We've taken 25 new people so far and helped many others make the trip themselves. We've tent camped, car camped, stayed in the State cabins, and stayed at various fully stocked private rental cabins complete with multiple bedrooms, bathrooms, hot tubs, game rooms, etc. We've gone for 1 night, up to 4 days like this last trip. No matter how long, it's never enough.

I could talk all day about the trip, and I'm sure some of those that went will write about it too. But the one thing I want to mention is a feeling I got this year I don't remember having previous years. As I sat in my office yesterday and then at home last night, it felt like I was still there. I'm sure I was still relaxed, but it was more than that. Maybe it was the company this year, maybe it was place we stayed, maybe the length of time took off, I don't know. But even while wading through the piles of paper that had built up on my desk, and even cutting firewood to heat up our 42 degree house, I felt so calm and at ease. And Ell said she felt the same way too. I don't know what it was, but it was nice to be in that mindset. And I can't wait to go back.

If anyone posts pictures, I'll link to their sites so you can see them.

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

This trip was truly amazing. I still feel relaxed and recharged.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Kyle said...

im glad you guys had a great time. I know I loved hocking hills when I went there.

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home