Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Alright already.

I got a letter this morning from a dear friend. He, and I think he'd agree, isn't one of my best friends. I don't say that in a bad way, we simply don't connect very often and when we do it's not enough time to really get into the stuff we'd probably enjoy getting into. But in contrast to the physical separation that exists between us, he is one of the most honest people I know. He doesn't mind challenging me to re-examine my thoughts and re-evaluate my positions. He doesn't try to change my mind, just look at things in a different light. This April Fools thing is no exception.

They say that hindsight is 20/20. And as I look back on the joke I shared Sunday afternoon, I wish I'd done a couple things differently. Not b/c of the backlash, but I know I could have delivered it better. I should have included the traditional "April Fools!!" tagline at the end or as a first comment. Or maybe not made myself go to prison which seemed to be the biggest gasp of the whole thing. I'm not too proud to bow my head and admit my mistakes. And those two things were mistakes for sure. And for those two things I apologize.

Many of you didn't get a chance to read my family's comments before I erased them. And despite the fact that it looks like I was embarrassed or trying to hide something, my intentions truly were out of concern for our relationship. On this blog I don't hide or shy away from anything. I've had some pretty intense debates where I was demeaned and ridiculed and ripped a new one by people I've never met as well as people I share blood with, but I never deleted a single comment. Never. The things that my sister wrote on Monday, and that my Dad seemed to agree with, were on a much deeper emotional level and voiced issues that need to be dealt with quickly. More-so as a family not in a public setting. They have nothing to do with my joke, even if it was ill-delivered. I want to deal with those issues as soon as possible, but not here.

My friend touched on one other area: Sense of humor. To quote him, "We don't all share the same sense of humor, and some of us are more easily hurt than others. We don't have to agree on what's funny and what isn't..." This isn't something I'm just now figuring out. In fact, it's why I share so many different types of jokes on Fridays. The way I see it, if you don't get the joke, or it's not your taste, avoid my Friday Funnies and you won't be lost or offended ever again. But the thing I did differently on Sunday was that I didn't give anyone the opportunity to know I was telling a joke. And for that reason, people were left worried and scared. That wasn't fair and I couldn't be more sorry.

Am I sorry I did the joke at all. No. It was a joke meant to cause laughter. Am I sorry my family felt slighted? Yes. Aside from their deeper issues that they may never disclose to me, this can be resolved.

3 Comments:

Blogger drifter said...

Sam - I have been off the blogs for over a week now bc of work just being too crazy - I'm sorry I didn't take time to read at least yours! Sam- you are one of the most unique people I know. And that was clearly the funniest april fools day prank I,ve seen in my 39 years. I wholeheartedly disagree with your friend's letter (at least to the extent that you shared). May I suggest a possible "fix". Add another blog to keep your family up to date with whats going on in your life and keep this one for those who "get you" and know that an original like yourself is a rare find worth accepting just as he is.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I should keep quiet - I've been telling myself to. It's so difficult for me to do that though.;p

My first thought was the only thing anyone could possibly be mad about was that they weren't brilliant enough to come up with that good of a joke...that was a well written piece of art.

However, I undertand the terror a person, particularly a relative, would feel if they did think it was true. (Although, having never met you I just couldn't bring myself to see you as someone who punch a woman.)

That all said, I don't think it matters if your joke was right or wrong. It wasn't done with bad intentions or a mean spirit and I think everyone should pick themselves up, brush off the dirt and move on.

Only 360 more days for the rest of the world to think up one to top you!

4:28 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Thank you both for your kind words. You guys get me. I don't deny the joke could have been delivered better, but many saw that it was in fact a joke and nothing else. And you're right Adrienne, they have a whole year to think of something better. Better get your thinking caps on, all you folks got some pretty big shoes to fill! :-)

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home