Monday, April 09, 2007

A random post for the sake of randomness

Well, it's official. This is the snowiest year on record for Ohio. As of Easter Eve, the airport in Vienna recorded the last half inch of snow needed to break the record. Most of the other major cities are reporting the same thing. I heard a meteorologist over the weekend say that January was the third snowiest January on the books and February was the second snowiest February of the same. Combine those two, and all the snow we had at the beginning of March, and you got a pretty white winter.

For obvious reasons, I kept being in and around conversations about death and cemeteries this weekend. Discussions about visiting grave stones and markers, the pros and cons of cremation, the rather open rules in the state of Ohio when it comes to after-death care of a body, and our own resurrected Savior. One of the most intriguing conversations was about natural burial. I didn't know there was such a large resurgence in that idea. I guess there are even entire cemeteries that don't allow embalming or headstones or even coffins other than pine boxes. After the burial, the land is allowed to return to its natural state. If you want to visit your loved ones burial site, they provide you with GPS coordinates. Interesting, huh?

Ell and I went to a sunrise service at the Columbiana Cemetery Sunday morning with our friends Andrew and Lyndsay. It was held outside at the Firestone Family Memorial (yes the Firestone tire people) and facilitated by the Upper Room Fellowship (yes our old church.) Even though the air was really really cold, it was nice to see old faces. We were welcomed and hugged by so many people. I guess I kinda underestimated the impact I had there and the people that have been missing us. Made the heart feel good.

I know I commented on someones blog last year about it, but I thought I'd share the Easter tradition Ell and I have had for 12 years now. Holidays can get so hectic with so many families to visit, so many dinners to eat, so much running to do, so much time-management to deal with, that a lot of people lose the joy of the season and of being with loved ones. Not that it isn't nice to see family, but when it becomes an obligation rather than a choice, is it a really a good time? Anyway, on our first Easter as a dating couple, Ell and I told our entire family and friend circles that we had plans. We went to the only Chinese restaurant open and had a quiet dinner alone. No one else was there, it was so romantic. And ever since, we've avoided the hustle and hassle the other holidays bring and spend the day just the two of us. The Chinese thing didn't always work, probably b/c they realized they were open a whole day for only two people. And we've actually gone to someone's house for dinner last year and this, but it's been on our own time line. The results have been a relaxing day without the angst that overshadows so many other people's holiday. We were actually able to enjoy the reason we celebrate the day. He is risen! He is risen indeed!

4 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

I like snow.

6:16 PM  
Blogger lyndsay said...

Wow that natural burial is interesting but really creepy my house could be built over decayed bodies!! ahhh

7:13 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I heard something about that the other day...I almost lost my cookies. If I think about dead bodies in the ground I get pretty naseous anyway...but yeah, like Lindsay said...uughh!

12:16 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Well, Adrienne you wouldn't like being married to a man who is the asst. supervisor at a cemetery. It all has sort of become common place conversation in our household. "So, did ya have any cremations today Honey?" Yeah, you can say I've gotten use to it.

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home