Wednesday, May 19, 2010

What does ministry look like?

I spent a few hours with the Montgomery's at Lamppost Farm last night (check out their link to the right) in a wonderful discussion about what they are doing there. In a stark opposite perspective, my friend Kyle visited me last Friday and we discussed his year-long involvement in the PULSE program in the city of Pittsburgh. (Check out his link too.) Both conversations were based on where each person(s) feels they are being led to serve God. Even though they were running in different directions, both were just as dynamic as the other.

I found myself leaving Lamppost with a feeling of being honored to know people who are willing to go to these kind of lengths for their ministry. And dare I say it, jealous. I'd love to be with these people and pursue their pursuits with them. Someday, maybe.

The other thought I had last night was how wonderful it is that there are so many different ways to have a ministry. I always roll my eyes when people say they don't know where to start in finding what God wants them to do. Seriously? Guess what? It doesn't matter. The thing that matters is the starting. Complaining on the outside is simply a diversion to get you out of being involved. God is not limited to a short list of ways to be effective. Brother and Sister, that list doesn't have an end.

No real question to leave you with in this post... just wanted to share some observations.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow great post Sam,

I can remember the exact place I was standing when a buddy said..So you want to be in youth min right? well march your butt off campus that the corner church and tell them that.

Starting is the key!

2:42 PM  
Blogger Dave and Betsy's Blog said...

Love your post Sam, miss Pittsburgh, and too think it's sooo important to just start. It's hard for me to do that sometimes without knowing where it will lead, but then there's a little thing called Faith.

Bets

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home