Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Bookmarks

Most people have certain moments in their life they use to mark everything else. "Before we went to...", "It was after we did...", etc. Those moments are usually amazingly good or devastatingly bad, but whichever category they fall into, they burn themselves into our brains because of the starkly different level of intensity they carried above and beyond everyday life. My friend Dave Scott calls them, bookmarks.

These bookmarks are by their very nature, rare. So what happens when three or four of them all happen at the same time? Which one do you choose to complete the kind of sentences I mentioned? And on a different thought stream, can the normal human being survive so many intense moments all at once? 

The past few weeks combined with the next few weeks have the potential to be steering me towards that strange anomaly, and in all seriousness, I'm scared how I'm going to handle it and furthermore, come out of it. While there are only a handful of you still out there reading ELEVEN, my life is touched by literally hundreds of people, and with that thought comes the question of what my life is really going to look like when the smoke clears. Is this stretch of super-close bookmarks going to be healthy for me, or something completely different? And what is Sam going to look like to the people around me as a result.

I'd say, "Stay tuned," but I just don't know.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm staying tuned :) jen

6:29 PM  
Blogger Kyle said...

Those hundreds of people you're connected with have all been touched in ways you don't even know and there are hundreds of people that would do anything for you because of that. Don't be afraid to ask-- and don't be afraid let Sam shine no matter how you think it looks to others.

I have the utmost respect for you. You're a good guy.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

I'm staying tuned.

It was good running into you tonight!

12:06 AM  
Anonymous Hollie said...

Hang in there, Sam. Life can give us some twists and turns that can disorient us for a while....but if you stay steady you'll come out of this on top.

2:23 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey and Melissa said...

Still tuned in here. Sending love and prayers to you and your family.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Cyndy and Linda said...

Hey Big Sexy... Still here.... as always. Thoughts and prayers sent you way!!! oxoxoxox

3:12 PM  
Anonymous susan baum said...

great advice from Hollie. I'm staying tuned. I never met a shirey i didn't like.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Hmmmm for those of us who know your heart we are anxious to stay tuned . I have no idea what is in the next few chapters , but I know with outt a doubt my friendship with you has only just begun to get interesting . I'm in it with you - and appreciate your sincerity . Hang in there , please know I care and am praying you through this bookmark .

8:55 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Hmmmm for those of us who know your heart we are anxious to stay tuned . I have no idea what is in the next few chapters , but I know with outt a doubt my friendship with you has only just begun to get interesting . I'm in it with you - and appreciate your sincerity . Hang in there , please know I care and am praying you through this bookmark .

8:55 PM  
Blogger drifter said...

I think Life was meant to lived as an adventure. Some individual adventures may only last 2 weeks when planned to be six months. When I was In College I moved out to California and never planned to come back.....It lasted one semester. But never in my life was I ever sad that I began a new adventure...a new Chapter in the story. I am exceited to be along side as you begin the new Chapter in the book of SAM!!!

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home