Friday, June 01, 2007

Friday Funny

Thanks to Guy for the source of this week's installment of funny.

It was opening night at the Orpheum and Claude the Amazing Hypnotist was the headliner. People came from miles around to see the famed hypnotist do his stuff. As Claude took to the stage, he announced, "Unlike most stage hypnotists who invite two or three people up to the stage to be put into a trance, I intend to hypnotize each and every member of the audience."

The excitement was almost electric as Claude withdrew a beautiful antique pocket watch from his coat. "I want you each to keep your eye on this antique watch. It's a very special watch. It's been in my family for six generations."

He began to swing the watch gently back and forth while quietly chanting, "Watch the watch, watch the watch, watch the watch......."

The crowd became mesmerized as the watch swayed back and forth, light gleaming off its polished surface. Hundreds of pairs of eyes followed the swaying watch, back and forth, back and forth, until suddenly it slipped from the hypnotist's fingers and fell to the floor, breaking into a hundred pieces.

"Crap!" exclaimed the hypnotist. It took the crew over a month to clean up the theatre.

Have a great weekend everyone!

4 Comments:

Blogger Sweet Peripety said...

Now THAT is funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9:52 AM  
Blogger Kyle said...

HAHA! that stinks...

11:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yikes! Glad I didn't make it to that show :)

Sam, I just read your post about your dad and it really hit home with me. I don't generally do this but I'm going to offer some unsolicited advice.

Stop reading here if you don't want advice. :)

I lost both my parents within a few months of each other a few years ago. It wasn't until after they were gone that I realized there are things about them I will never know.. and all I would have had to do to get the information was to ask them... but I didn't and now its too late.

I do genealogy and I often thought how wonderful it would be if I could sit across the table from a great or a great, great or further back ancestor, and ask them questions about their lives...but somehow I never thought do the same with my parents. Now all those precious family stories are lost to me...and my children... and my grandchildren... and my descendents forever.

So my advice is to talk to your dad no matter how grumpy he is. Ask him questions. Ask him about his first day at school, about his friends when he was young, who his best friend was and what did they like to do together. Ask about a favorite pet, about a time when he got in trouble, about asking your mom for a first date and what they did on that date, Ask about his first job, about something scary that happened to him, about an accomplishment he is proud of…..

You get the picture. These things are only memories in his head and when he is gone so are they. Take a recorder and just let him talk. Chances are he will be happy to talk about himself and pleased to know you want to know more about him.

Family history is so important and can give children, grandchildren and future generations a sense of belonging.. of where they came from and who they are.

Sheesh I didn’t mean for this to get so lengthy but you struck on something I’m passionate about :)

Hmmm this might be a good Father’s Day post for my blog.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Thanks Faye. That meant a lot to me. I've always had a good relationship with my Dad, but as I read your words I realized that most of things are items I've never asked him about. I am going to do this as soon as I can. Thank you Faye.

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home