Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Follow-ups, Part 3

Two weeks ago we made another trip to Minneapolis. This time wasn't so much of a vacation as it was to surprise Andrew for his birthday. I mean, who would possibly drive 14 hours twice in one month just to hang out with some friends? If you guessed this guy, you'd be right. Well, Andrew didn't, and he was major surprised.

This trip was overall a little better than the last one. Both Andrew and Lyndsay had time off of work and school, so we got to see them a bunch more. Plus, Brad went with us which made it even more fun. But the thing that was most different was that we did a lot more stuff. We actually got to see more of the city and experience the city life a little more.

I'm still not convinced I could ever be completely happy in a big city, but this trip really gave me a bigger picture of how much there really is to do in a city that living in rural or even town-America could never offer. There are parks and restaurants and professional ball parks and grocery stores and coffee shops and museums and so many shops and stores with anything you could ever think to buy. And they are all within walking distance. I'm not even talking miles and miles, but rather just a few blocks. All of it within a few minutes from your front door. How amazing is that?

Are there downsides? Of course. You can always be a "grass is greener" kind of person if you want to be. My backyard is safer. My backyard has cleaner air. My backyard has a garden and trees. What my backyard doesn't have is a museum or a ballpark or a bike trail; all of which are literally in Andrew and Lyndsay's backyard. I guess you need to find where your priorities lie and what makes you happy before you make a decision where to live. But like I said last time, city life is growing on me. I always despised it because I thought it was just big and scary and dirty. There's so much more to it than that, though. I still choose rural America, but I now appreciate our country's diversity so much more.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brad B... said...

hey dog... that trip was off the hook... lol... anywho... ya man it was great... and im totally convinced that i wanna move there... for real... i posted by the way, check it out... nothing major... lata...

5:01 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Thanks for coming......lets move to seatle

11:59 AM  
Blogger Kyle said...

You should probably come to pittsburgh so you can see a real city. I'll take you to the sharp edge beer emporium... over 300 beers and the most belgian beers on tap in america!! eat that, st. paul!

3:39 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

How are you (being only 20) going to take me to a beer emporium? Not that I don't want to go, I do. But how do you know about it? And be careful, I think your Mom stops by eleven every so often. :-)

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home