Thursday, September 25, 2008

Day three and four of Four days and a wedding

6:00 am Woke up with the realization that the cough of the previous couple days had turned into something much worse
6:01 Stumbled downstairs hacking and coughing the whole way
6:02 Fed the cats, grabbed some water, checked my phone, turned on the TV for some white noise, and curled up in my Lay-Z-Boy under a blanket
10:00 Woke up in a cold sweat and went back upstairs to wake Ell up for church
10:45 Left to pick up the Wilson's and then to church
12:30 pm Back to the Wilson's house where I realize my left ear is aching (up until Sunday I had never experienced an earache due to a surgery when I was five years old that may have damaged some nerves), realize I don't like earaches
1:30 Eat lunch of ginourmous grilled cheese and mac-n-cheese fixed by friends Jonathan and Megan
4:00 Ell informs me I have a fever and need to rest
4:15 Back at home and in my chair for a nap
6:00 Head to Johnny Appleseed Festival in downtown Lisbon with Jonathan and Megan
7:30 Back home and into my chair for the night
10:00 To bed for what would turn out to be one of the worst sleeps ever, never asleep longer than twenty minutes at a time and never soundly

5:00 am Body is sore, throat is raw, nose is surprisingly clear, top of cheek bones hurt, eyes keep watering, fever is high, and my left ear is completely blocked in a feeling I can only describe as having water in it after swimming (which is still affecting me intensely as I write this, three days later)
5:01 Crawl downstairs and into Lay-Z-Boy under a blanket
6:15 Ell wakes me up to beg me to stay home from work, I have no strength to argue, she tucks me in and gets me water and my phone
7:00 Wake up long enough to call my boss and report off
10:00 Wake up again with my right ear starting to close up, if I stand up and raise my chin in the air like I'm attempting a chin up- the blockage seems to clear (I look like a dork when I do it though, and it's horribly painful when the blockage closes back up which happens as soon as I put my head back into a normal position), head to the kitchen for some tea
10:10 Start watching season 6 of Smallville, occasionally napping
3:30 pm Ell arrives home with some food, realize I hadn't eaten yet (now that's a first), try to explain that I can't hear anything and the vibrations of my breathing and walking and moving are loud inside my head and it's super weird
4:30 Ell goes back into work and I settle into my chair to watch TV and read for the rest of the night
11:00 Go upstairs and hope for a better night sleep than the night before

11 Comments:

Blogger Kimmy said...

That just sounds miserable. I hope you are starting to feel better on Day Four....

12:59 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I feel badly for how awful this all sounds too, but I am not pleased that day four left us with so many unanswered questions.

I hope there is a day five coming soon.

I used to love the appleseed festival. The smell of all the apple products and fall in the air and the cider...

I was even appleseed royalty one time. I don't remember what year though - maybe '95. It was kind of an embarrassing thing though.

Anyway. Hope you are better now!

1:06 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Kimmy, day four wasn't very interesting so it's in the same post as three. When I started writing Tuesday morning it seemed like all four of those days ran together so I thought it would be good writing as a post series. Looking back, I probably should have just talked about the weekend and kept the boring details of my sick day to myself.

What questions do you have, Appleseed Princess? I'm at your service, oh great royalty of the seed. ;-)

1:35 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Sam you sound sick......I know just the thing to cure you. Your nurse wife, in a nurse outfit. I'm genius. I'll put out a memo.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Well, I wanted to know if you felt better on day five - being that you went to bed so sick on day four, it didn't necessarily lend itself to you being all better on day five. And, you never elaborated on the interview and...I just thought there was going to be some crazy exciting climax to the story. Instead, you went to bed sick.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

You just can't title a post series day 1, 2, 3 OF Four and not have a fourth post. There is no condensing!

10:43 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Alright, first you Kimmy. Sorry to have confused you. In your euphoric state of happiness over the changing of the seasons, I'll overlook your obvious lack of literacy skills. I clearly wrote "three and four of four" but I see how that could be confusing to someone in your state.
:-)

Adrienne, thank you for pointing out my lack of follow up. Unfortunately, any information about the interview will have to come in the near future. Some questions still need answered before I can speak freely. (Just between you and me, the person who interviewed me reads my blog. Hard to talk about someone when they will find out. Wait, is this thing on the internet???) As for the cold, the fever broke Monday (day four) afternoon and the cough died down to an occasional controlled reaction to the flem in my throat. My left ear was completely blocked until last night and the right one (which joined it's evil left twin by getting blocked Wednesday) comes and goes. To be honest with myself, the ear thing was almost too much to handle. It was like I was slowly going deaf and was having to make adjustments on the run in everything I did. I couldn't function in normal capacities and it was infuriating. This was a horrible week at work because of it, but today's Friday so I'm happy about that.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

And Megan, the whole nurse fantasy kind of fizzled when she actually started doing nurse work and told me about it. I have very little desire anymore to have that outfit close to any part of my body. But i would still dig a sexy French Maid outfit. Oh yeah!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

SAM SAM SAM!!! Yes thats me yelling so you can hear what I'm saying......I'm a bit confused, you don't want her to wear a nurses outfit because of what the actual career entails. So I ask you my friend, why do you want to see her in nothing but an Encore apron? After all, she does have a career there and it involves just as much nausea and crap (of a different kind) that nursing potentially will. Just my thoughts.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Oh Megan, how little you know about me. A Nurse's outfit is way too "real" to be sexy. An apron, yes even an Encore apron, is no nondescript that it's easy to ignore what an apron stands for. Plus, and this is the real reason, there isn't much to an apron. The boobies would be popping out, the tushy would be exposed, the sweet triangle of love would only be a thin piece of fabric away. Yeah, that's right, I said it. Aprons will always be sexy when worn by themselves.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

Thank you oh great and powerful Sam, for overlooking my obvious lack of literacy skills!

I still stand by the fact that you cannot condense what was expected to be four separate posts into three. I don't care what you title it;-)

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home