Tuesday, September 16, 2008

At the Bank

A short, stubby, middle-aged, well dressed man just left my office. His voice was straining and high pitched even though he was putting off a vibe of cool-to-the-max. The words he spoke came out of his mouth very clear but very extended. Say the word "everything" but stretch it out for three or four seconds and you'll get a good mental picture of this guy. The following is the beginning of our conversation; word for word...

Stubby high pitched long talker: "I need to get a loan."

Me: "What kind of loan are you looking for?"

Stubby high pitched long talker: "Not sure, like $3000?" (Yes the inflection indicated a question.)

Me: "What do you need the money for? A car loan or something different?"

Stubby high pitched long talker: "Yeah. Kind of like a car loan."

Me: "Kind of like a car loan?"

Stubby high pitched long talker: "Yeah."

Me: "So you're buying a car?"

Stubby high pitched long talker: "I don't know."

The conversation got no easier from there. Have I mentioned lately how much I love this job?

6 Comments:

Blogger HennHouse said...

So did you give him a "kind of" loan?

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Sam your kind of leaving us hanging here! What's the end of the story!?

6:25 PM  
Blogger Swedish Mama said...

great presentation--it was like I was listening behind the wall.

It is something how 'people' can make our great job unpleasant?

6:56 PM  
Blogger Melissa Blair said...

I think I might like kind of a car loan too.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Well, the outcome was not good for this guy. He has a decent credit score but is maxed to his eyeballs in debt. So... DECLINED. And if you grew annoyed with my face-to-face interaction, you should have heard me trying to explain the decision to him over the phone. Let's just say I definitely earned my salary yesterday.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Laura G. Young said...

Take this gentleman and multiply him several times over. That's what's happened to the economy...

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home