Thursday, October 30, 2008

Really?

I know this post is probably going to raise a few hackles, but I just couldn't sit quiet anymore.

On the Christian Pipe Smokers forum I'm a member of, there is an active thread discussing the issue of abortion in the current election. As many of you know, anti-abortion is something Ell and I greatly support not only with words but by being a volunteer and a board member, respectively, for a local Crisis Pregnancy center. We firmly believe that life begins at conception, and that abortion is wrong.

That said, I've had just about all I can take during this election year with people saying that abortion, and abortion only, is their electoral-ruler. I'm not offended that people have ideals, I'm offended that barely anyone puts their actions, beliefs, and yes, money, where their mouth is. If you have the audacity to say that you are willing to hinge your entire country's future -- social issues, health care, the war, the economy, taxes, GTMO, whatever -- on this one thing, and you sit back and do absolutely nothing for the cause, you've lost my respect.

Here's what I wrote on the topic on CPS...

Completely aside from any selfish motive, I say as the treasurer for an Abortion Alternative organization, that we rarely if ever get any support from the local churches. What a slap in the face for us actually doing something and so shameful for these good "Christians" who are ranting and raving about abortion and Obama but have never given a dime to support the cause. Maybe I'm speaking from too close of an emotional tie, but I am saddened by any one of you who mention abortion as your election ruler but don't support the people who are in the trenches trying to talk these girls out of it and save lives. If that applies to you, you disgust me.

This was a response by another member to what I said...
Nicely stated. I think what needs to be faced is that abortion is not going to be outlawed or seriously restricted until it has been marginalized. That will happen by working for & funding crisis pregnancy centers, and it will happen by evangelism and mercy ministries. Don't believe me? Ask yourself when it became possible for the government to seriously regulate - and begin banning - smoking. Back when everybody smoked, or after the majority had quit for other reasons?

My mum used to sit on the board of Precious Life here in Altoona. As the director of that agency (a family friend) could tell you, their work is making real differences every day. I would go so far as to say that the combined efforts of crisis pregnancy centers around the country do more in a single year than all the evangelical chest-thumping and political pandering has done in 35 years, in terms of really preventing abortions. Hat's off to I-D (that's me) for pointing to the elephant in the room. Your pro-life vote is nothing but an emotional binky, if you aren't backing it up with real measures.

The fact that abortion is legal in this country is a horror and an abomination to myself and many I know. And it is one of the only issues that could actually be changed if people cared enough to act. I have a couple dear friends who have had abortions, and I'm sad they chose that option. But what if there had been a group of people who were willing to listen and advise in a caring, compassionate way to help them? Could the outcome possibly have been different?

That can't happen without people willing to get involved and others willing to support them. If you don't fall into one of those categories, I don't think I'll ever again be bothered to hear what you have to say on the topic. Not because I don't care, but because you obviously don't. And don't lie to me that your vote is based on one issue you believe strongly about. That's a cop-out and lazy. You don't show support and belief and honor one day every four years, it should be a way of life every day you get to breath while knowing the unborn never will.

Don't vote Pro-Life, live Pro-Life.

13 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Blair said...

You know, I had the exact same thoughts about the election. I am so glad someone else thinks it is a bit naive to vote for someone solely on their position on abortion! I think it is wonderful that you and Ell take your position one step further by working in a crisis pregnancy center.
I personally believe in the right to choose (not pro-abortion, mind you). Some countries, like China, force women to have abortions if they even have the smallest inkling that something might be wrong with the baby. In which I would say, I think it is great that in America, we have the option to choose NOT to have an abortion, and keep a child that may or may not have birth defects. Even though my opinion is different from yours, I really respect your willingness to fully support something that you believe in. I am sure you make quite a difference in the lives of the many women you help.
Thanks for taking the time to post this issue - I hope more people take more time to spend on choosing the right candidate for the job, rather than selecting one based only on one issue that most likely won't be solved during a single presidential term.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Buddy your last line really hit me. well said. This election has given me much to ponder over how i label myself and what those labels really entail.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Zoooma said...

Great post, Sam. I'm very much into giving, and my thoughts on abortion are probably the very same as yours, but I never thought of giving to a center such as the one you volunteer with. Now I've got it on my mind to hand over a few dollars to one someday. It's an important issue to me -- way more important than pizza or Starbucks.

A lot of people think their only duty to such causes is to vote. I don't even believe that's a duty as we are free to NOT vote. But what's true is if something is so important to us, we can do more... if we want to. Nearly everyone, whether they'll care to admit to it or not, has a few extra dollars they spend on things they simply don't need... like pizza and Starbucks.

Sometimes there's a greater cause than ourselves. Sometimes there's a greater need for our money. Sometimes? Whoops. I think I meant -- always.

4:48 PM  
Blogger HennHouse said...

Do you mind if I link to this post?

6:21 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Not at all, Karin. This is a topic bigger than my blog so please share it.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Well if it helps, I'm only voting for McCain due to the simple fact that I have a ginormous crush on President Bush. McCain seems to have Bush trapped inside him, so giggly, so fun. That should make you feel better.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Ok, I can't post that without coming back and say that I'm kidding, partially. I believe in McCain for many reasons, and hopefully he will win and make things happen for this country. If not, Viva Canada my friend.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

Good post, Sam.


I agree with Megan on the Bush crush. He reminds me of a teddy bear;-)

By the way, I think you should post some information on how people could potentially get involved in helping out at the crisis pregnancy center, or any other ways they could help out along those lines.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Chel said...

I do agree ,wholeheartedly, that organizations such as crisis pregnancy center need funding .
They are much needed places that girls can safely go and receive counsel, and not be judged.
The value behind them is priceless.
When it comes to de-legalizing abortion, I do not feel the solution lies there.
If you read my blog post from September 20th, you can see that I have a personal interest in
this very important issue. When I have given my testimony, and counseled or spoke with young
girls, including my own I am very intentional about the fact that my decision to have
sex before I was married was the sin, NOT the pregnancy that it resulted in, nor was the child
that it resulted in any way.
The result of the sin was a consequence, not a sin in itself.
That is something that we need to educate our community about. The intense shame, guilt, judgment
that girls feel when they are in the situation of dealing with this sin consequence is based
on being taught that the child / pregnancy is a mark of their sin forever, that
it is a punishment. No wonder so many girls are tempted not to accept responsibility for this
act. In my situation, I was offered a "get free out of jail" offer. One of my friends parents
that knew before my parents even knew (because I was not afraid of judgment) had offered
to pay for, and arrange an abortion, lie to my parents, and take me on a vacation for two
weeks to recover. Thank God that as soon as I heard this offer I felt the evil behind it, and I
knew I had to take responsibility for my action. Following my decision, it was not easy, I
had dealt with intense judgment, guilt, and shame for many years. I did not impose that on my
daughter, I always remind her what a gift she is. My church, and community did not seem
to recognize or acknowledge or celebrate that fact that I chose life, rather I was looked
down on for not being married. This is where true change will happen, at the local level, at
the community level, during relationship. We need to tell our stories, and listen to others.
Why don't I feel that de-legalizing will help? Because I don't feel like abortion will go
away, unfortunately. It will just make it more dangerous and harder. Abortion is one of
the evils in this world that we need to combat with education, and love, not by law. What
happened during prohibition? Did people stop drinking, buying or selling alcohol?
I will not chose my candidate by this issue only I am trying to look at the whole.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Chel said...

Sorry about the funky spacing on my above comment... I wrote it in notepad...Chel

11:37 AM  
Blogger Kyle said...

Wow, Sam. Thanks for your words of wisdom.

I also like what you had to say, Chel. Thanks for sharing your story.

It's a sad state when legalism gets so weaved into the christian mindset that the church forgets to do anything other than say "no" and slap you on the wrist. What ever happened to the doctrine of grace?

It's dangerous too, because girls that are in situations of crisis pregnancy need help and they need answers, and if the church isn't willing to respond, the secular world is more than willing to give that answer, and probably in a much more accepting and loving way than the church typically does...

I feel like I can't really condemn the church too much, though, because I think the reason I haven't taken a really strong anti-abortion stance is because I'm not really ready to make my actions reflect my mouth-- I'm not so sure I want to do the kind of work redemption requires.

Thank you, Sam and Laura for the work you do.


I don’t think he’s angry when we are human. That’s what he made us to be.

-Kendall Payne

7:06 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

I thank all of you for your kind words. I think it goes without saying that Ell and I do this not for earthly glory or for any accolades, but rather to make a difference, be it possibly a small one, to the young ladies out there who must feel they have no one to turn to. I don't think we deserve any congratulations for what we do, rather we see this as one of the instructions laid out for us in the New Testament. And yes, we are saddened every time we ponder the amount of energy and resources wasted by so many that could be directed towards our tiny establishment and many others like it around the country. And we're saddened that so many see their lack of effort as OK in this battle we daily fight. Thank you again for all of your responses. And thank you for asking and offering your support; I'll post the address for our organization in an upcoming post.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Chel said...

I agree Kyle, I am not condemning the church, as part of the church I hope we can all continue to learn to be able to be more authentic with our stories, because there is always someone that needs to hear them, it seems it is a good way of ministering.

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home