Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Job update

I got a nasty scolding (all in good fun..... I hope) that I'm not being very forthcoming with what's going on in with my job situation. I guess I've dropped a couple hints and not followed up with details, and for that I'm sorry. I'm sure I should still be careful not to reveal exact details but basic information can't hurt.

Some months back, I was sitting with one of the guys in my Bible study when he mentioned an opportunity that had been presented to him and his wife. It was a joint job offer/interview that would take them away from Ohio if it came to fruition. I casually mentioned I'd like to have his wife's job if they left. It was a joke more than anything, but it planted a seed in my brain.

The job she held (still holds) was Chief Financial Officer (though she doesn't call herself that) for a large non-profit. I'd known about, and at times been involved with, this non-profit for twenty years. It had grown leaps and bounds from the last time I'd been there, and a possible chance to work for them was interesting to me. I sent a letter (my resume with it) to the non-profit Interim Director and waited for a response.

A few weeks later he called and we met for an interview. The interview went amazing. It lasted over ninety minutes and I heard through the grapevine that he would have hired me that day if the decision was his. Skip ahead to three weeks ago (the day of the wedding.) I had an interview with the CFO, as she'd been authorized to pursue a replacement for her position. After another ninety minute interview, she informed me if the decision was hers she would hire me.

So that brings us to now. The board of directors needs to meet and decide if I'm the right guy for the job. This would be an amazing opportunity for me. Not so much in pay or position --in fact, I'd be taking a 33% pay decrease-- but in what the job means. This is a ministry, not a career. To borrow the CFO's words which reflect my life perfectly, 'For years my job has been to make rich people richer; to help people with money get more of it. The entire purpose of this organization is to help the exact opposite spectrum of society.' Pretty heavy stuff, and pretty exciting. I want this because it will stretch me as a person and in my faith, and at the same time allow me to use the leadership and money know-how I already have to help an organization I fully believe in.

I won't lie and say the decreased salary, loss of health benefits, somewhat different area of work, and rusty ignorance of their operating systems, doesn't scare me. But it also invigorates me with an excitement for work I haven't felt in almost a year. The selfish human benefits are also appealing. I'll get four to four and a half hours added to each day when comparing the bank to this job. That's huge! My gasoline bill will also drop from $80-$100 a week down to less than $20. That replaces a sizable chunk out of the salary decrease. Plus the stress reduction from the bank to this job (not saying there's no stress at the new job, just healthier) will probably add a few years to my life.

So there it is. Sorry to be somewhat vague, but I must respect the privacy of the non-profit as well as my own heiny here at the bank. (They're always watching, those dirty ba'ards.) Pray for me if you're of that persuasion, and I'll keep you updated as things progress.

7 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

Not that I claim to know anything (Other than fact I am almost always right ;p) but I swear this job is for you.

Prayers for the proper outcome shall go up for ya.

2:35 PM  
Blogger HennHouse said...

Praying.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

Thanks for the update.

We are praying over here for you!

4:02 PM  
Blogger Kyle said...

this is certainly good news.

love you broseph

9:42 PM  
Blogger Sweet Peripety said...

I'm definitely praying for you...I know in my heart that I would all be for working as a MINISTRY if God called me.....

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, sam. i jump to your blog from karin's. i hope they choose you. from your post, you want this job for all the right reasons. the inherent rewards that come with a position in a NFP organization more than make up for the monetary rewards you might lose. when i was with our local meals on wheels org, i referred to the extra time i put in (for which i was not monetarily compensated) as "overtime for my soul". i wouldn't trade a single minute for any amount of money. bon chance.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

What a blessing to have so many people, from so many places, all in prayer for this. I am humbled and blessed.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home