Tuesday, October 14, 2008

One done, one postponed

The list is getting shorter; the, "Projects to complete before listing" list that is. The majority of the list involves work to the outside of the house, and after spending most of the last three days outside, I can proudly say the house is complete. I may be a little biased, but it looks amazing. Ell took some before, during, and after pictures and it's shocking how much difference the work we did makes. It looks so good.

I do have some uncomfortable after-effects from the work, though. Saturday I worked on the spring shed and some of the landscaping. There must have been some poison ivy in those places because now I have it all over my face. When I worked at the nursery I got it every summer working in the fields, etc., but in all of those cases, I never got it on my face. I'm not even sure how it could get to places like the inner side of my nose, both sides of my forehead but not in the middle, across the top of my cheek, or the tip of my nose. Thank goodness I can ignore itches, or this would be pretty miserable. Besides that, my knees and feet are a bit achy from being on ladders for three days and I have scrapes and cuts all over from who knows where. (Geez, this guy sure is a whiner, huh?) But through all that, the house is done.

I don't like talking about problems with my body. Hard to believe, I know, after that last paragraph, but it's true. I don't like hearing about others aches and pains so I'm certain the same is true of others. This infuriates Ell because she'd like to know so she can help. Maybe it's just a guy thing, or maybe my Mom emotionally scarred me as a child whenever I got hurt. (Just kidding, Mom.) Whatever it is, I just don't feel like bothering others with my problems.

One of those unmentioned problems was a broken tooth. It was broken probably six months before I told Ell, and only then because it had started hurting really bad. She immediately inspected it and set an appointment for me to have it pulled. Something about it being black and dead, I don't know. Anyway, we drove to Salem yesterday afternoon for the appointment only to get there and find out the doctor had to leave. They'd tried to call us but had old contact information. What a bummer. I was all amped up for the pain and now I have to think about it for a few more days. BTW, this will be my 24th tooth I've had pulled. But that's a story for another day.

I'll post pictures of the house in a couple days. Anyone wanna buy an old log house?

4 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

I'll buy it, how's 11 buckaroos sound??? Or maybe I can attempt to make you a feast constructed of apples and only apples!!

3:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ouch, sorry about your dental problem. Especially sorry you got geared up to go to the dentist and now you have to go back. My dentist gives me a tranqualizer to get me there and has the gas running from the minute I sit in the chair.

Its interesting following your journey as you "downsize". One big step forward now that the house is done.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Swedish Mama said...

I would if I could--hate to lose thoses old logs and the history of the house. Maybe I could add it on the back of our house for your Dad, he'd love the extra room.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Swedish Mama said...

I would if I could--hate to lose thoses old logs and the history of the house. Maybe I could add it on the back of our house for your Dad, he'd love the extra room.

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home