Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Whaddya wanna be when ya grow up? - Part Twenty

Today I had a post-interview conversation with my boss concerning a potential promotion. I'm pretty happy at this new bank, and if I get this new job, I'll get back into that role where I'm the go-to guy. That kind of position keeps me away from that old feeling of being in the wrong profession. As long as the money is right, I'm pretty sure the job is mine. I'll let you know in a week or so.

In the midst of all this job talk, I had a conversation in my head about what kind of jobs I'd do if nothing stood in my way like money or location or good ol' fashioned practicality. Here's what I came up with...

Of all the jobs I've had and done, my favorite job was working at the Nursery. Besides the joy of being outside all the time, I felt good like I was making the word a better place. I don't mean that in a cliché kind of way, I mean it literally... planting trees and shrubs makes me feel like I'm making the world better. I still make it a point to plant at least one tree a year.

A job I wish I'd had a better opportunity to spend more time at, was being a cabinet-maker. Besides the joy of working with my Dad, there was an unexplainable awe watching him transform raw wood into beautiful cabinetry. I certainly carry his passion in my blood, and I've made more than a few of my own piles of sawdust in my adult life, but it was something I never had a chance to really pursue. I may not have liked it as much as I dream, but there's something about woodworking that still calls to me. (I even have a few projects in mind for Christmas presents.)

I've always been fascinated with people who can turn hobbies into money-making opportunities. For me, it sure would be fun to turn gardening into some kind of job. I've never been afraid or even experienced that moment people warn against, when a hobby becomes a job and no longer becomes enjoyable. Sure, there were times I hated some jobs at the Nursery, but I always liked where I was at. I think the same could go for gardening. If only I could figure out how to make money teaching others how to properly dig in the dirt to grow their groceries.

Lastly, I would really love to make a living writing books. This is something I'm truly considering the logistics of. Stay tuned on this one.

Anyway, that's what's on my mind tonight.
This was a fun post to ponder.

1 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

Best of luck and God's will in this!!

Good topic. I might steal.

2:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home