Monday, December 18, 2006

Christmas Cards

I have this very thoughtful post running around inside my head, but I'm not in a very contemplative or creative environment so I think I'll wait to spit it onto the screen until tomorrow.

What I want to talk about today is Christmas cards. We got two cards today in the mail (One from Kevin and Kimmy, thanks!) which brings our grand total this year to a whopping eight cards! Last year by this time we had over twenty. And that number was significantly lower than previous years where we would have like fifty or sixty by now. Now this low number could be due to any number of reasons........1) We have less friends than we had before, 2) People are really behind on their card sending this year, 3) More and more people seem to be getting away from the whole card-sending thing, 4) I'm getting older and my circle of acquaintances are dying out! Any of those are probable, but the #3 is the most likely.

As I've said before, we were one out of A-LOT of weddings when we got married. And there have been a lot since then too. On top of my family and Ell's family and both of our work associates and many other varied people, all of those couples sent out cards for the first few years. Which was why we got like 50 or 60 a year. Slowly, the number declined to the all-time low this year. It just seems like card-sending is a lost art or just a big waste of time for most people. Or for some, like us, it's a rather large expense. B/c of paying for Ell's schooling, we haven't had the funds. That sounds so bad, like we have our priorities all screwed up. And to be honest, I have felt pretty crappy about it both years. We really enjoyed picking out funny or hobby-appropriate cards to bring a smile to our friends/family faces. But buying and sending cards have fallen behind things like paying the car payment and buying firewood. Even though those things are important to us, I still feel pretty bad about it.

Well there it is......... My heart on a page. Not sure why it mattered to write about it. But there it is.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kimmy said...

We are only one card ahead of you at a whopping 9 cards thus far. Wanna race?

I understand what you mean about the expense, it gets to be a bit much. I'm glad to see you have your priorities straight though, car payments and heat defaunoooootly come first!

9:57 PM  
Blogger kimw said...

I've got you both beat. Until yesterday, I only had three cards. I got two in the mail yesterday, so now I'm up to a whopping 5! One was from Grandma, though, and it had a check in it, so it's all good :)

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home