Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Finally, I get to pick

I have always been on the fringes of the crowd when it came to my music choices. Not that what I've liked wasn't popular or common, it just wasn't so with the people who were around me. In the 80's I was really into Heavy Metal. The longer the hair, the louder the wailing guitar, the harder the beat, the better. But then that whole "metal is of the devil" craze swept the nation and my good-intentioned parents banned it from our house. 1991 & 2 was my junior and senior year in high school and the explosion of the Seattle sound. Everywhere that is except in my tiny little town. No one I knew seemed to appreciate that bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, and Smashing Pumpkins were making music that would influence the rock music scene for years to come. And then I got my first real job and was forced to listen to Country 24/7. It got worse at my next job where everyone seemed entrenched in bad Pop music. At my present job, my head teller insists on listening to 70's and 80's easy listening crap and has had Christmas music on for two months. I love Christmas music, but I've started to develop a nervous twitch.

Like I said, it's not that the music I've liked over the years has been weird or strange. I don't have many cd's that are one-print artists or odd experimental sounds. Everything I like just doesn't mesh with my surroundings. So I usually don't get to choose what and when the music selections will be made. All that changed yesterday. My head teller is off for a week, and the rest of the tellers are young or hip enough to appreciate my choices. So since I had control of the satellite music controller, I quickly found a modern rock alternative station. It may not be the best selection for a bank but I don't care. I have my music for one week. And I'm loving it!

2 Comments:

Blogger kimw said...

I'm happy for you, Sam. I really am. There's nothing like some good tunes to put your mood into the happy place.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Sweet sweetness my babies! You can finally get some great music even though your week is sucky because you have to work the teller line. Happy Days!

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home