Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The community of the pipe

As many of you know, I am a pipe smoker. And today I am joining pipe smokers around the world in recognizing International Pipe-Smoking Day. This is not a joke nor is it something I share just for something to write about. In the age of knowledge pertaining to the health risks associated with cigarettes and the disgusting ingredients within them, coupled with the ignorance of the general public in regards to the differences between cigarettes and other tobacco products, pipe smoking is all too often lumped into the same category of distaste. But the differences are oh so very real and oh so very vast. And that is the reason for this day. Let me share some of the views the organizers have set forth.
  • We envision a worldwide communion of pipe-smokers that is bound together by a shared love for pipe-smoking, mutual respect, and goodwill.
  • We envision a society that respects the informed choice and adult use of smoking tobacco.
  • We envision a world where governments act in good faith and integrity, and have the political will and personal courage to express their values appropriately through legislative means.
  • This means that as a group we are united and strong in our beliefs, have understanding, patience, wisdom, enjoy the philosophical aspect of pipe-smoking, and seek to promote pipe-smoking as part of a lifestyle that can be thoroughly enjoyable to adults through the responsible use of tobacco.

I look forward to this evening when I can sit down and relax, forgetting the worries and hustle of my ordinary day, and enjoy a couple bowls of good tobacco. And I'm looking forward to knowing that I won't be alone in that quest for relaxation and contemplation as I'll be joined by men and women around the world in joint harmony as we light our pipes together in unison.

It has been said that those who smoke a pipe live longer on average than non pipe-smokers. Whether or not that is true, and I truly do not wish to debate it, I can surely attest to the calming and centeredness I experience when my breathing becomes rhythmic and determined, when the room fills with pleasant aromas of cavendish and perique and burley, and when I am afforded the opportunity to think and examine life in it's fullest; things only smoking a pipe can allow in combination.

Pipe-smoking has a long and historic tradition shared by men (and yes, women) ranging from honorable Presidents to normal farmers. It is not judgmental and it requires no registration card. It welcomes all who come to it and give it the time and respect it deserves. And so this 30-something American will sit down tonight with a bowl of Irish Oak in my Grabow, followed by Frog Morton in my Danish Soren Freehand, and ending the evening with Blue Diamond in my beloved Peterson bulldog; all the while knowing that tens of thousands of others from all age groups and countries and races will be doing the very same thing as I. What a tranquil time it will be.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sam! Great post. I hope to celebrate our shared love for the tobacco pipe today, but I cannot smoke at work or in my house and it's raining! I'll need to find an outside covered area somehow today.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ahh...some blue diamond sounds good. Might have to dig some out tonight...my pipes are sad and lonely these days.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

wonderful post my brother of the briar!

1:14 PM  
Blogger HennHouse said...

So how was it? I'm hoping you post a follow up.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

International Pipe-Smoking day. dude, that is awesome. I thoroughly hope that you were able to relax and enjoyr your pipes. I think I will have to join you another year.

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Sam! What a great post. I've never heard of International Pipe-Smoking day, which is odd since I work for a tobacconist. But you certainly capture the spirit of pipe smoking with this essay. It's something non-smokers simply don't-or won't-understand. I'm smoking a bowl of Peretti's Park Square in a rather old Charatan Executive as I write this. As Thackery once wrote, the pipe gives wisdom to the philosopher and gives a fool something to stick in his mouth. ;)

-smith

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never thought much of pipe smoking. I'm now remembering by dad did for a brief period during my childhood. I must say, Sam, you've done it justice with this post. Should I ever see someone smoking a pipe, I won't think anything bad at all now... not that I necessarily would... but now I've got more respect for it.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Smoking cigarettes or pipe is really an expensive habit. The average price per pack of cigarettes, for example, is just about one dollar; people who smoke two packs of cigarettes a day therefore spend $2 per day on their habit. At the end of one year these smokers incur a huge debt, why not try Electronic Cigarettes it's much cheap than others and also full fill your nicotine carving..

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home