Friday, April 18, 2008

Mr. Professor at your service

I don't want to make more of this than it really is, but I wanted to share something pretty cool I got to do last night. A few weeks back I was asked to be a guest speaker for a college class at Kent State University and last night was the scheduled night. Guest speaker sounds a little tame to what actually happened, though. From the moment I walked in the door I realized I wouldn't just be speaking, I was actually going to be teaching the class. (read--the professor was kind of a stump--) I don't mean for that to sound bad, because the whole thing was pretty enjoyable.

The class was called "Professional Selling Techniques" and had only about ten to fifteen students; all of them in their early to mid twenties. I had planned on speaking about Banking sales since it's such a unique process compared to other types of salesmanship. But then I found out there had been another speaker a week or two earlier who was also a bank manager. So in an effort not to bore the students, I decided to speak on the all-too-often cliche selling tips and ideals and rules as they are usually presented, and whether or not the lot of them really matter. I figured these students were taking the class for only two reasons: 1) to fill an elective, or 2) because they wanted to be a good (or better) salesperson. So in the hopes that the majority were there for number two, the most effective thing I could do for them was share what worked and what didn't.

I'd prepared about fifteen minutes of material, but the class went for an hour and ten minutes. Partly because I talk a lot, but more largely because I really got the students to interact and have discussions around the topics I presented. I'm fairly good at getting people to talk, so this was fun for me. I've been told on many occasions I'd make a good teacher, and I have to say... last night was great. Maybe in my next lifetime. For now you can call me Professor Sam.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sweet Peripety said...

sounds great! Rich has taught classes on occassion and I know he is really good at that. It's nice to get different things to do from your day to day job.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

Hi, Professor Sam;-)

7:36 PM  
Blogger Kyle said...

thats awesome dude! way to be collegiate!

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congradulations, proud of you. Glad you enjoyed and others 'profitted'from it.

Mom

11:35 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hello Professor Sam, you can teach me anytime!

9:07 PM  
Blogger Laura G. Young said...

That sounds like an interesting talk. :)

After years in retail sales, the same managerial pep talks got really old.

12:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot Sam for coming in and teaching! I talked to some students afterwards and you were a hit!

-Dan

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home