Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Can't help but laugh

We had a nice little celebration in our branch today. Our investment representative cleared and surpassed her annual revenue goal before July 15th. Quite an accomplishment in this down economy and all the turmoil surrounding banks these days. Many of her customers were referrals from the tellers and platform staff within the bank, so as a thank you she had a catered luncheon brought in. She also put together a little game with wrapped items as the game prizes. I won two prizes.

As I unwrapped the first item, I laughed right out loud. I'm usually good at controlling my emotions, but when I saw it the laughter just burst from me. It was a wall hanging complete with a faux distressed frame and a countryed-up display of torn burlap straps spelling out words. And yes, one of them was love. It's the sort of thing I can see my Mom decorating her very-country living room in the house I grew up in. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice piece. But in our present state of throwing away all the silliness that we've accumulated, this was more than I could stand.

I'm not sure if I fully explained our hearts in my last post, but Ell and I are being gut-level honest with reality. If we don't need it to survive, there's a good possibility it won't be around long. We're not throwing away our lives; there's quite a bit that sentimentality won't let us discard. But as a whole, we really see all the extra "stuff" as just that, things we can do without.

So I have two new things up for grabs. The one I explained above and the second which really made me chuckle: a two foot long, rustic, painted-wood sign that says,
"Live Simply*Care Deeply*Love Generously"
I can think of no other way to meet all three of these goals than to give this thing away.
And that makes me laugh.

6 Comments:

Blogger HennHouse said...

You are so funny.

Not sure you need a sign to remind you to live that way. Pretty sure you do it anyway.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

How horrible would it be for me to say "I'll take them!" in the midst of my own de-cluttering challenge?

I actually kinda like rustic things and I know someone who really, really, LOVES rustic things, so if I didn't end up keeping them for myself, I know exactly who I would gift them to.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

They're all yours, Kimmy. There are a lot of people who decorate in this very style (if there wasn't, Kohls and Pier One and the like would be out of business) so I knew it could be of some use to someone. I'll drop them off sometime.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I never had excess junk until I had kids. Do you know why stuffed animals were created? So people could annoy other people's parents.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Amen Sister Adrienne!

12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These last few posts caught my attention because I used to work in financial services. Among other things, I was the "mutual fund guy" at a bank. I hated every minute of it and finally told them take their job and shove it. I made one last stab working for a prominent New England insurance company which I'm probably not allowed to name. Let me put it this way: I had to shave my beard to get the job. 'nuff said? Now I work in the cigar store, and have never been happier.

It sounds like you're reevaluating your life, and getting rid of the stuff that's n not good for Sam. Been there, done that, am much better off. Good luck to you!

-smith

1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home