Friday, September 29, 2006

Fall Harvest Time

Here are some pictures from the last couple weeks of harvesting from our garden. This picture is from 3 weeks ago when we pulled our onions. As you can see from the picture, they are really big this year. In fact, they are bigger than any year we have ever grown them. My hands are fairly big and these two onions filled them. We start all of our garden plants from seed and we don't buy anything from stores. So it's pretty satisfying to get results like this.

These next two pictures of our San Marzano heirloom tomatoes. This is the variety that is mostly all meat and no water. Most of the kinds you buy in the store have more water content than anything else which makes for really runny salsa and sauce. Again, check out how big they are compared to my hands.


Lastly here are some pictures from just the other day of some Oxheart carrots. These are easily the biggest carrots I have ever seen in my life. Some of them split they were so big, but most of them were fine. I was really surprised they grew so uniform and didn't get forked. I have done a lot of amending of the soil in that part of the garden, but it is still so rocky. I also included a picture of our new kitten we found after the Columbiana Street Fair. That is a story for another day, but since Kim showed off her new kitty I thought I'd share a kitty picture too.


And before I get any "rabbit" comments, let me give you a little more ammo........The night I picked the carrots I cut them all up and I've been eating them all week for at least two meals a day! They are so tasty!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home