Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Carrot Flowers

When you were young you were the king of carrot flowers
And how you built a tower tumbling through the trees
In holy rattlesnakes that fell all around your feet

And your mom would stick a fork right into daddy's shoulder
And dad would throw the garbage all across the floor
As we would lay and learn what each other's bodies were for

And this is the room one afternoon I knew I could love you
And from above you how I sank into your soul
Into that secret place where no one dares to go

And your mom would drink until she was no longer speaking
And dad would dream of all the different ways to die
Each one a little more than he could dare to try

5 Comments:

Blogger kimw said...

That's quite a poem, Sam. Strange – haunting and beautiful at the same time. Where is it from?

9:15 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

It's actually the first song on a CD someone loaned me a few weeks ago. The group is called Neutral Milk Hotel. They have Irish roots, but I'm not sure where they are from. They incorporate a lot of cool instruments in their music and in their shows. The lead singer is super talented, but besides using that talent, he also has a lot of fun with his music. I've heard you are a pretty good musician; I bet you'd really like them.

7:30 PM  
Blogger HennHouse said...

kimw was right-- haunting is a great word for the piece. I'm going to download them from iTunes to my iPod tonight. I love non-mainstream music.

10:05 AM  
Blogger HennHouse said...

Looked up Neutral Milk Hotel-- they have three albums. Great stuff-- I'm gonna pace myself with them. I love how iTunes recommends similar music.

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah iTunes is just about one of the better things since sliced bread!!

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home