Saturday, March 08, 2008

Some thoughts to start a new day

It's 6 a.m.

I'm sitting in the Encore Cafe while Ell is baking and cleaning and prepping.

There is an ice-snow-sleet mix falling outside on top of the four inches of snow that fell yesterday.

We stayed at Ell's brother's (and sister-in-law) house last night because we were at the Cafe until 11:30 p.m. last night.

I'm nursing a cup of black tea for my dry throat from sleeping in a house with a furnace for the first time in years.

How wonderful it is to have friends who are so compassionate as to open their house to us at a moment's notice.

Did anyone else see or hear that intense lightning and thunder at around 5 a.m. this morning? Crazy.

I apologize to my friend (and ex-coworker) Linda for not keeping up with updates and such. Sorry lady. I'm trying to find time in my day but it's getting harder and harder.

Ell found out her uncle killed himself on Thursday. It was his birthday.

Both of our dad's have lost their entire families now. That's hard.

Elton John's Candle In The Wind is on the Cafe radio right now. I've always liked that song. It makes me sad though.

That bi-annual stupid sheep holiday is this weekend when we move our clocks forward. Ben Franklin was a smart guy but he couldn't have known the selfishness of our present day when he thought up the idea. Such a wasteful thing it's become, and we don't even care.

It's been great to have my friend Kyle home for spring break, even if our times together have been too short.

Sometimes I feel like dancing in public. But I know people would find that weird.

I'm on my second cup of tea.

A nice aromatic pipe smoke sounds good right now.

I miss my Dad.

A snowplow just drove by and completely covered the sidewalk in front of the Cafe.

I'm happy to be in this place right now.

I only have enough seasoned firewood to last one more week and I can't find anyone selling non-green firewood anywhere. There are some who say they have it but it always ends up being green. Lying bastards.

I don't consider bastard a swear word but many of my friends do.

Did you know I don't swear? Except for bastard and pissed, but I don't think they are swear words.

Ell and I confirmed with each other a while ago that neither of us want kids. That felt good to be on the same page.

Ell spent $75 on groceries yesterday. That's more than we normally spend in months. She got a lot of extra's we don't need, but's it cool to have some store-bought crap in the house.

I really love my wife and am so proud of everything she's doing in her life right now

I think I'm going to sign off now and read the morning newspaper.

Have a great day; yes, I mean you.




7 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oh my goodness, the thunder this morning! It scared the crap out of my dog. I say that literally! I heard the thunder and then the dog on our sons bed, he jumped down and we have hardwood floors so it's hard not to hear a 45 pound dog jump of our sons bed. I went in to check on him and he had pooped on the floor. Poor old dog, scared by a little thunder! Any-whoo, yea, some crazy weather we are having! Enjoyed your post BTW.

10:10 AM  
Blogger HennHouse said...

We love Laura, too. And miss you both. Isaiah is EXCITED about next Saturday. What are you going to do for wood? We've got about a foot of snow but the drifts are about two feet tall. Makes me think of Leetonia. Dance in public. At the end of the day, are you out to make YOU happy or random strangers who have nothing to do with your life? Dad is having a rough day. You should call him. I don't think he went to sleep until about 3 a.m. I love tea, too. We miss you. Esther-Faith woke up this morning and asked to watch "your" movie. Then she started quoting it. She also said, "I am speed." Give Laura our love. We'll be up soon to eat at the cafe!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sam as I read this post I’m struck by how your life speaks to the discipline of simplicity that Jesus modeled for us. It's a healthy reminder as Lisa and I have seemingly been dropped into rather overbearing time suburban oppression as of late. Thanks for that gentle reminder.

Hope things warm up.

p.s. it was 68 and sunny today here!!

8:00 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Dave, I'm refreshed to read your words pertaining to my life.

As for the weather, I'm extremely jealous.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Kyle said...

Can I just say that I really hate winter right now? This is supposed to be spring break, but the last few days of my "spring" (emphasis on the spring part) break have been pretty boring because i've been snowed in. Yeah. I can't go anywhere because its freaking winter...

and yes, I wish we could have hung out more.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Sweet Peripety said...

I soaked up your words here, Sam. Truly appreciate you both. Lots of prayer...and friendship coming from Rich and I. Hope to run into you guys sometime soon..at the Encore! LOL!

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A cup of tea and a pipe. Simple pleasures that help make life worth living!

-smith

2:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home