Sunday, January 17, 2010

Kids and Parents

So one of my nieces is going through a pretty rough time right now. Yesterday she had major surgery to remove her burst appendix, a surgery that maybe (sarcasm) should have been done Thursday when it burst. Unfortunately she was born with Spina-Bifida which complicated the diagnosis stage as the doctors tried to wade through the list of possible other explanations for her symptoms. (If you'd like to see more details or share some much-needed prayers, check out my sister's blog in my blogroll. Her name is Karin.) But my thoughts this morning aren't specifically towards my niece, but about her parents; all parents to be more accurate.

As I followed along with the surgery progress yesterday via text messages, I couldn't help but have an overwhelming sense of love for my sister. I sent her a simple, "Love You" text message, and I started crying. Why? Because I couldn't imagine the intense emotion it must be to watch your 4 year old be wheeled away to be cut open. I can only guess it was a horrific fear filling every sense. How do you not break down from the fear, and sadness, and helplessness, a moment like that must bring? I doubt I could do it.

And the same kind of emotions, and probably a metric ton more, must exist for every parent. What a job you take when you decide to be a parent. I have so much respect for every one of my friends who have made that decision.
Feeding the right foods, choosing the right schooling, allowing the right amount of freedom.
Bandaging wounds, hugging hurts, celebrating smiles.
Guessing sickness, fighting rebellion, teaching skills.

They say the future lies in our children... I disagree. I say the future lies in the parents of our children. You are the people that affect the outcome more than anything else. (Don't screw it up!) I am in awe of the paths you've chosen. Awe and total respect.

I have four nephews and five nieces whom I love. But more importantly I have four brothers and four sisters who I honor and respect. (And love, of course.) I could never have the courage to do what you do, and I want you all to know I think the world of you. You are all awesome.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

this post is awesome sam. ive been following along on Karin's blog about sweet little Esther-Faith, and have been praying so much for them all weekend. thank YOU for this amazing post though. it had me in tears. im sure that it was not directly for me, but i really needed to hear everything you said. so, i thank you for sharing your respect for parents. i admire you greatly for that.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I cannot even imagine.

I read Karin's blog and am left with a monsterous amount of awe, inspiration and respect for her, Tim and those kids.

My prayers are certainly with them - may Esther Faith be clothed in God's Grace and Healing.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Melissa Blair said...

What a beautiful post! I am sure that between the post, and the text message, Karin had exactly what she needed from you to give her the strength to keep moving.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

Excellent post Sam. I completely agree.


Praying for your niece and her parents during what must be a very overwhelming and emotional time.

Your sister is blessed to have you in her life, btw!

7:08 PM  
Anonymous amy said...

you gave beautiful words of encouragement and love.....praying for your family

12:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh man quote of the day "They say the future lies in our children... I disagree. I say the future lies in the parents of our children." could write a book about that.

2:18 PM  
Blogger dave said...

good stuff sam. thanks for the heartfelt post bro.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Thanks Sam! I Love You too!! Having kids is definately not the easiest thing to do, but raising them sometimes seems impossible. I hope I don't screw it up!!! Anyway, thanks for your post, I take it personally because I am your sister but also because I'm Karin's sister and although I am unable to even imagine what they have been dealing with and the amount of strength it takes to put one foot infront of the other, I am proud to call both of you my siblings. I Love You!!! It was great to see you and Laura on Monday!!! Jackson has really missed you!! Talk to you soon!!

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home