Saturday, December 11, 2010

What's for dinner?

So I've had this nasty throat cold for a few days now. No phlegm or congestion or anything else, just a killer sore throat that feels like my throat skin is ripping every time I swallow. Super painful and irritating. I saw (or read maybe) that the combination of bok-choy and shitake mushrooms works wonders for cold relief; something about how they react with the body's natural fighters, I don't know. Anyway, I thought I'd try it.

I started by washing the bok-choy and then cutting it into inch-and-a-half long pieces and placed them in the steam rack of a steaming pot. While the water was coming to a boil, I started a small skillet warming on another burner. When it reached the right heat I added about a teaspoon of stir fry sauce and about two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Both the steamer and the skillet got to heat at the same time so I put the bok-choy to steam and the mushrooms (which I'd already cut into chunks and washed) into the hot skillet.

To add my own little flair I decided to add some broccoli. I only allowed the bok-choy to steam for three or four minutes to not let it get wilted, and moved it to a clean plate. I then put about a half cup of broccoli into the steam tray and let that steam for about five minutes. During the steaming of both vegetables, I was flipping the mushrooms in the skillet to get them sufficiently browned and soft.

After the broccoli was done I poured it directly into the skillet and added the bok-choy. A few flips and a toss sufficiently blended all of the ingredients. I added a couple sprinkles of raw sesame seed and transferred the whole skillet to a fresh plate. The picture is a bit fuzzy because I used my phone, but as you can see, it turned out quite nice. A few cups of tea with honey and dinner was served.



Now to wait and see if it helps my throat.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kimmy said...

Looks good! Especially, the broccoli, I don't like mushrooms. I hope it helps and you feel better very soon;-)

11:45 PM  
Blogger Melissa Blair said...

Looks yummy! Can't wait to hear the results.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

That looks SO yummy! I think the next time I'm up to visit, or you are here, you need to make me a plate of that. Yum Yum Yum!!!

4:18 PM  
Blogger Swedish Mama said...

Great photo of a great chef's masterpiece. brocilli is one of God's medicince veggies, don't know about the other two. How are you feeling today?

10:42 AM  
Blogger ChelChel said...

Very cool! I really enjoy the picture! Looks great!
Chel

3:26 PM  
Blogger Kyle said...

Ummm... why wasn't I invited?

By the way. I have a new blog post if you're interested.

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home