Friday, October 06, 2006

And The Hits Just Keep On Coming

Or maybe I should use the cliche, "When it rains it pours!" When it comes to stuff happening to Ell and I, all of our problems seem to happen at the same time. None of them are ever big things, but when they slam right into each other they sure do take a toll on us.

Ell's Jetta, which we've been nickel-and-diming for a while now, hit us again with a big one. Her heater core and the radiator both went last week while she was on her way to school. We have a very dear friend who loaned us a car, so our transportation worries were eased a bit. But the repairs were going to be around $400. The car was done and we were planning on picking it up today. Yesterday on my way home from work, some weird electrical thing started happening in my Volkswagen. When I got home I realized the brake lights were staying on. I'm not talking about staying on while driving or even staying on instead of the driving lights; I'm talking about staying on "ALL" the time. Even after the car was off and parked. I messed with the fuses a bit last night, but I hate electrical stuff. I can do basic mechanical repairs, but electrical not only baffles me, it scares the crap out of me. Electrical shorts in cars can be an easy fix or they can costs thousands of dollars. Many a car of mine has been sold for pennies of what it was worth b/c it had electrical issues.

Back to my story.......Since I couldn't undo the battery on my car due to all the new-fangled crap that would be ruined if I did so, it was too weak to start the car. I was ready for that until I realized that our jumper cables were in the Jetta at the shop. I mean, why carry jumper cables in a new car? That's just silly! So after AAA jumped the car I headed to the shop. Due to the fact that all we drive is VW's, we have gotten to know the service guy on a first name basis. I told him what my car was doing and he of course knew what the problem was and that he could fix it. All he had to do was order the parts. Here in lies my next problem........My 99 year old Great-Grandma died yesterday morning, and we need to drive to upstate New York Monday morning to go to the funeral. Now I have an old junky Jetta that I am already worried sending Ell out in everyday, and a new car that has an electrical problem, and I need to drive 4 hours into New York and 4 hours back probably all in the same day. I won't even go into the fact that we have no money to pay for any of this.

Like I said, not major issues, but they all hit at the same time. I need a beer. No make that two!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

Do you ever just want to remind God that you have quite a lot of character already?

Cars can be such a pain. We've been lucky. This would be a post of it's own though.

Sorry about your Great-grandma...99's pretty good though!

Hopefully, it all works out well for you.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

99 years is a good long time. She got to see a lot and she was ready to go. I'm not sad at all. Thanks for your good thoughts!

I'm still shooting some prayers upward for you every day Adrienne.

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beers do help a lot of people. Those people it helps aren't supposed to be able to be helped by it and those it doesn't help are allowed.
Paraphrased from Confuscious.

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home