Monday, November 05, 2007

Christmas time is upon is

So, we went down to Columbus this past weekend. My sister Karin has a tree up already. (Maybe two, I can't remember.) Besides her house, everywhere I looked I kept seeing signs for sales and specials and the infamous days 'til Christmas reminders. It was all I could do to keep from screaming, "IT'S NOT EVEN THANKSGIVING YET!!!" I didn't; but I wanted to.

So here I am today, sitting at work, listening to jingle bells and other various Christmas songs coming out of the plethora of stuffed snowmen my head teller has out already, and I couldn't help humming along. So I did it. I got online and started Christmas shopping. That's right --- way before Thanksgiving and Black-Friday --- I did some Christmas shopping. I'm so ashamed I can't even look at myself in the mirror. How can I live with myself? I know, I'll hum along to Jingle Bells for the hundredth time when the next old lady comes in the bank and squeezes the snowman's hand.

Jingle bells jingle bells, jingle all the way, oh what fun it is to ride...

5 Comments:

Blogger HennHouse said...

I have two trees up and four more tubs/trunks of decorations to get out. I do have two more trees, but one is on its last leg--being held together by green duct tape. Since E-F is allergic to duct tape, it will probably bite the dust this year. But Mom said she found a pink tree at a local store. I love pink. And I love trees.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I don't think I can even read your blog anymore. Christmas gifts and jingle bells before black friday? Sinful. :)

The bigger our Christmas buying list gets, the earlier I have to start - sanity and financially, it's just smarter to spread it out!

4:12 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Who are you and what did you do with Sam? I will not tolerate any sort of christmas music in our house till at least the end of November so you just keep that silly music at work and in your head:)Don't bring it home to me!

2:40 PM  
Blogger kimw said...

I love Thanksgiving. It's my favorite holiday. Since it's not commercial, however, it sadly gets overlooked. I like it because it's all about GIVING, and not at all about receiving (whereas Christmas is both). Don't get me wrong, I like Christmas, but I do like Thanksgiving more :)

10:08 PM  
Blogger Zoooma said...

Wow. Okay. I have no problem with popping in some Christmas tunes or a Christmas movie any time of the year... EXCEPT December. Yes, I'm weird. I have no problem with Christmas shopping in early November... or in early August! Why not get it done and out of the way? Makes sense to me.

But Christmas trees already up... in the first week of November?!?!?!?!?

Whoa. No way.

Christmas in America is disgustingly over-commercialized... and each year that increases just a little bit more. Makes me sad. Yes, it's nice to give gifts but I think Christ would be appalled at the amount of it that goes on. Personally I can't bring myself to take part in it especially while so many people needlessly suffer and have nothing.

What we should really focus on at Thanksgiving and Christmas is those people. Imagine if half of all that money spent on Black Friday was used to build water wells for villages where they have no clean water. I know the importance of helping America's economy... but while big Turkey dinners are being wolfed down by the thousands, what about those who have no food to eat at all?

4:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home