Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A great conversation

So, turns out bok-choy and mushrooms are no match for a Strep infection. But it tasted good, anyway.

After a few days of ignoring the fact that I had something stronger than just a sore throat, I headed to the doctor this morning and got a prescription for some antibiotics. While waiting for the script to be filled I did some grocery shopping; including a six pack of Great Lakes Brewery's Christmas Ale.

On the way out to the car, I stopped and put a few bucks into the Salvation Army canister. The following conversation occurred with the too-friendly, under-appreciated, conversation-lacking, middle-aged woman ringing the jingle bells.

Odd lady: Oh my goodness. Let me see that beer carton.
Me: Um......... okay.
Lady, all of a sudden very excited: That looks like a train, oh it is a train, that is so amazing. (The Christmas Ale carton has an HO scale train car with Christmas tree bulbs in it.)
Lady still talking without taking a breath: I have a friend who would love that, just the picture though, I don't think he drinks beer, but that picture would have really excited him, well before anyway, now all he cares about it NASCAR, NASCAR NASCAR NASCAR, oh but he used to really be into miniature trains, you know, he had a whole room with tracks and cars and a tunnel.
Me, truly shocked she said all that in one breath: Wow.
Lady: I know.
Me, walking away: Yeah, model trains are pretty neat. Well, have a great day.
Lady, calling after me even though I'm twenty feet away: But you know what I like?
Me, completely shocked this conversation is still going: What's that?
Lady, smiling largely: Zeppelins.
Me: Really?
Lady: Oh yeah. Zeppelins, Dirigibles, the Hindenburg. Now those are really great.
Me, completely at a loss: Um, yeah. Those things are really something.
Lady: You bet they are. So interesting.

There was some more mumbling but I was really trying to get out the door before she could go down another rabbit trail. I laughed all the way to my car.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kyle said...

I bet there wasn't even a lady outside of the store and this conversation was all just a fabrication of your mind... Sam, have you been taking drugs?

8:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ha. love it. you probably made her day :)

8:54 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

This is why my mom is not allowed to volunteer for salvation army!

9:06 PM  
Blogger Melissa Blair said...

Too funny! She probably kept talking even after you left. I think some people just like to hear themselves talk.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Nobody said...

I think the best part is she said all of that with one lung full of air.

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home