Saturday, August 13, 2011

Birthday Flowers

As the story goes, these were the first flowers my Mom saw on the way home from the hospital after I was born....



For years we would scan yards for these short-lived flowers that only appeared around my birthday, and it became something special I shared with my Mom. A few years ago, my Dad and Mom moved to Columbus and my Mom was pleasantly surprised to see some of these lilies growing in the yard of her new house. When they had died off, she dug out the bulbs and brought them to me. I planted them in a couple places and now I enjoy them every year when they come up, remembering my Mom and the extreme connection she has to those flowers and her first-born child.




Happy Birthday, Mom. (It's as much your day as it is mine.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

naked lilies :) we love them too! for our little lilly of course, but now for another reason!

8:33 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Our new house (Sam being the first guest) has a bunch of these. They first bloomed last week and we have had some many people take some home.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Swedish Mama said...

I am told they are Resurrection Lilies, as they have a huge crop of long green leaves in the spring that die off. You almost forget about them till August when the stem shots up overnite and then you have..."Sam Lilies."

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home