Thursday, November 24, 2011

Morning Person

It probably comes as no surprise to those that know me well that I love the mornings. I think it started as a child when my bedroom was on the East side of the house which allowed the sun to pour in my windows as the morning was born. And it has continued into adulthood mainly because I rarely get/need more than six hours of sleep a night, which usually finds me awake at the buttcrack of dawn. With the exception of a few friends, I'm usually alone in this love of the morning. In fact, my Lady is still asleep upstairs as I sit here on the couch; caring more to start this day of Thanksgiving under the covers than with me. ;)

But my love of mornings is deeper than just saying hello to the sun because I'm not tired...... there's much more going on and it is a deep rooted appreciation for what the morning means to the world. In some ways, the morning hours feel as if they belong to me and me alone. There are no clients clamoring to see me, no demands from my boss and nothing I have to do for any other person except myself. I can reflect on my deepest thoughts because my body is still somewhat calm, without distraction from inner struggles. Many who know me realize that I have an overactive brain and thought process, so for me to have a moment in the day where there are only one or a few deep things to ponder is a big deal.


This peaceful feeling comes to me in the wake of the day because of the overwhelming feeling that the morning possesses and shares with me. The stillness and unity of all earthly life is a peaceful and beautiful experience. Every being, from people to critters and plants, seem to have leftover sleepiness that creates that stillness. We are all on the same page at this time of day. In the morning, it feels as if the entire population that the sun currently reaches is on the same team; that we are trying to accomplish a similar goal.

Through the week the world wakes up to begin the day with a subdued hustle and bustle. Each person is trying to get to work or school or run errands. Some are annoyed with traffic, but I understand that each person is wanting to accomplish the same goal as I am: get to work and get the day going. A school bus stopping can be a damper on anyone's commute to work but I have an appreciation for those kids as they carry backpacks as heavy as they are, starting their day, the same as I am. I can't help but smile and think about the earth waking and want to say, "Go world."


My Lady has now joined me after trudging down the stairs, her hair a mangled yet beautiful disaster. A few cups of coffee later, perhaps she will grace me with her first words of the day. This Thanksgiving morning still has the feeling of, "Go team" while families are putting the turkey in the oven, debating whether to have breakfast or save room in their bellies, watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and remembering what they are thankful for.

For me, I am thankful for mornings. For the moment of peace. For a time to be with my thoughts. I am thankful to start this day, though in a staggered fashion, with my Lady and her love for the holidays. She is still in her process of waking, but I can still see her excitement to spend the day with loved ones.

Good morning world, go team, and Happy Thanksgiving.

3 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Blair said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your lady, Sam!

10:34 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Thanks, Melissa. And the same to you and your family. Still thinking and praying for and Jeff every day.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

I'm thankful for sleep.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home