Sunday, February 06, 2011

At the Bank

Like usual, this, At the Bank post carries a bit of humor. But it also shows a glaring example of how public my job is and how invasive it can be to my private life.

Situation... guy comes into my office to renew a CD. He's a bit of an odd-bird lacking some basic social skills; close talker, akward body language, too-careful talking about his not-careful-enough mental processes... an overall creepy guy. I welcome him into my office and offer him a seat across from me. Instead of sitting down he leans across my desk and stares at my business card for a full ten seconds; a really long silence as I sit and stare at him. Here is the conversation that followed:

Him: "Is that you?"
Me: "The name on my business card?"
Him: silent stare
Me: "Yes. That's me."
Him: "Were you in the newspaper yesterday?"
Me (at a loss): "I'm not sure. Did you see me in the newspaper?"
Him: "Are you the same Sam xxxxxx who just had his divorce or dissolution finalized?"
Me (almost speechless at why this guy remembers stuff like that and starting to wonder if he's some creepy stalker): "Well, yes; you saw that in the paper?"
Him: "Yes."
Me: "Then yes, I guess I was in the paper yesterday."
Him: "That's what I thought," and without even taking a breath, "so what are your CD rates?"

Strange conversation, to say the least. What a weirdo.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

1:38 PM  
Blogger Chel said...

He sounds like a creeper!

8:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

um. wow.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

OHMY...wow! Speechless.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Kyle said...

are you sure that wasn't my grandma? she sees everything in the paper...

5:19 PM  
Blogger Sweet Peripety said...

Very strange.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

That's funny. People our weird.


You: Is that you in the paper for tomorrow?
Him: What? Tomorrow?
You: Yeah some guy got murdered at a bank...looked a lot like you.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Are*.....

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home