Wednesday, October 25, 2006

One more thing....

I did a little research on the issues 4 and 5 after I did that last post. For the most part, I think that the politicians are really trying to confuse us when we go to the polls. Everything I've read says to vote NO on issue 5 and YES on issue 4. Issue 5 is the ban on smoking in "all" public places. Issue 4 is the ban on smoking in "90%" of all public places. Why would you place both issues on the ballot?

I guess the obvious answer would be so that people have a choice between bans on 90% or 100%. Does anyone else see what is happening here? Most people won't see that there is the option to vote NO on both issues; they will assume that they have to choose between the two. Why do I think that? Well, we live in a country where lawyers become politicians who write confusing legislation with language that seems to contradict itself. Then they present it alongside another piece of legislation that is equally confusing. The key to this deception is that they dumb down the wording for us simple folk with a basic explanation that only tells the details they want us to hear. They top it off by slamming the two of them together and inform us we have to choose. The truth is we don't have to choose; we can say NO to all bans.

This little deception may seem obvious to you, and if so I apologize. I just wanted to put it out there. But it's late, so maybe I'm just tired and none of this makes sense. I guess I'll read it tomorrow and see! :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home