Monday, July 23, 2007

A cat story with relevance to current events, pt. 1

When I was in eighth grade, my parents opened a paint and wallpaper store in downtown Columbiana, Ohio. A dilemma unfolded in regards to who would watch us kids from the end of the school day until my parents returned home around 6 pm. Because of my age, the decision was made that we were old enough to stay home alone. I agreed to take care of a few extra chores, and my sisters agreed to help out with dinners. And so it came to be that we were home alone Monday through Thursday every week.

As anyone with teenage kids knows, or anyone who was once a teenager, that's an open door for trouble. Fires were started, food fights were had, hair was pulled, bodies were punched, rooms were messed, and so much more. But one of the worst things that ever happened unfolded one fall afternoon. After all these years it's hard to remember who's idea it was first, but placing blame is no longer necessary. What was to follow was far more memorable than whoever originally thought that crazy thought.

A newspaper laid open on the kitchen table, an ad was circled in red.
*Free to good home, male, short-haired, gray cat*
My Mom was, and is, the quintessential cat lady. Gray being my Mom's favorite color in cats, this was a no-brainer. I called the number and a gruff sounding lady answered the phone. I explained to her we wanted to get a present for my Mom who loved gray cats. The lady asked if I knew anything about cats. (An odd question, but one that would have major significance.) I answered yes, we already had a couple. She agreed to bring the cat over the next day and asked for our address. I freely gave it. (It was the 80's.) I got off the phone, ecstatic she hadn't asked to speak to my parents. In hindsight, rather foolish.

So the date was set. We sure were going to surprise my Mom. Little did we know, that strange phone call was only the beginning of the strange things this cat would bring into our lives.

The story continues tomorrow...

3 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

Ugh...this is going to kill me. I've never claimed to be good in the patience department.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Sweet Peripety said...

This is fun! Can't wait for more of your story..

11:04 PM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

aw, come on, you're torturing me!

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home