Friday, July 27, 2007

A cat story with relevance to current events, Pt. 5

I was heartbroken. My Annie was gone. We searched for her everywhere. We asked neighbors and called everyone we knew. She was nowhere to be found. Karin had grown tired of Tammy's incessant squawking and willingly gave her to me as my own. But I missed Annie. A month or so later, as my Dad sat reading the newspaper, I noticed a picture on the front page. It was a photo of a cat in an antique store in a town 10 miles away. The closer I looked, I began to notice that the cat in the picture looked very much like my very own Annie. The next day, we all traveled to the store to see for ourselves. Sure enough, there she was.

As the store owners told the story of how she just walked in one day, we marveled at the over ten mile distance the not-yet-full-grown kitten had traveled to end up on their doorstep. I asked the owners of the store what they had named her and they said, "Sam." They explained that they originally thought he was a girl, but when they took her to the Vet to have her fixed, the Vet informed them that "she" was actually a "he." Turns out mistaken sexual identity ran in the family, which was just one more thing in a long line of weirdness that was about to get weirder.

That summer, Tammy slept on my bed every night. One morning she was gone when I woke up. Before I could wonder where she had wandered off to, a blood curdling scream erupted from my sisters' bedroom. An animal was behind Karin's dresser, and it was bloody. The scream must have scared it silly, because whatever it was flew into my room and dove under my bed. I quickly pulled out all the stuff and found the mystery animal. It was Tammy, and she was indeed bloody. Something must have attacked her in the night, and her fur had completely separated from her tail bone. She had lost a lot of blood, and the Vet said her tail would never heal properly. He performed surgery on her and removed her tail. So now I had a tailless cat. While the vet was doing the surgery, he also removed two testicles. That's right, Tammy was a boy. (I told you this story was weird.) Tammy lived a long life, all without a tail, and all of it as a boy. And no, we never changed his name. One more thing, in case you're wondering about my sister Kristen's boy kitten, you guessed right, it was a girl.

And so ends the strange story of Smokey, Annie (Sam,) and Tammy; and the story of four crazy kids with a crazy plan to surprise their Mom.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sweet Peripety said...

That's way too weird.

But, we were all told my kitten was a girl when I got her in high school. I had photoshoots with her wearing scarves, too, and in pretty hat boxes and I named her Cheyenne...later to find out at the vets...well..yeah..you know...

The name's Kodak now.

Sam, I understand the goofiness of it all.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

Okay, that's just too weird! Good story though, very suspenseful!

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam, I still haven't decided whether or not to believe you......Ok I do....and it IS weird......I wonder when Andrew will finally find out that he is, in fact, a girl......I wonder what Lyndsay will do when she finds out she has been a lesbian this whole time and didn't even know it........(psssst......it's me......Evan......)

3:07 PM  
Blogger lyndsay said...

awesome story sammy! evan err i mean who ever you are, it did come out...literally, i saw andrews lady part by accident you can just imagine the rest, but anyways we've decided to work it out...
ahhh wouldn't that be weird if people were like cats where we weren't excactly sure of your sex hahah that would be confusing and heartbreaking hahh

12:55 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I don't know what I can not believe more, the story or the fact that I don't remember ever hearing it before. In all the years I've know you and your family I really do not remember that one. That's crazy.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Zoooma said...

I'm confused. if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go check to see if I am who I've been told I am but then again maybe those anatomy books have been lying all these years.

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good words.

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home